17 years on, which lens was this?

Discussion in 'Canon Film SLRs' started by Robert Shears, May 12, 2017.

1. Robert Shears

Robert Shears Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-5, K-r, K20D, K100D Super.
    Canon G5, Canon 450D, Eos 100, 500, 600, T70 and T90
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Various OEM and 3rd party lenses in Pentax, Minolta and Canon.
    My wife and I had the "holiday of a lifetime" as well as a 25th anniversary present to ourselves in Hawaii. I took my T90 with FDn 50mm F1.4 and a newly purchased Canon FDn 35-70mm (for the holiday) and my wife took her trusty Minolta compact 35mm. we took 15 films (10 off 200 asa and 5 off 400 asa) branded Trueprint. We used a mail order process by Trueprint and their film was cheap.
    I have attached a couple of photos, one taken on the Minolta by my wife and one taken with either my 50mm or the zoom.
    I imagine everyone will instantly know which was the Minolta but can anyone tell me whether I used my zoom or my prime? I cannot remember much about the details, it was our first morning and we were pretty woozy.
    ps the novelty of a policewoman in cut off jeans!

Attached Files:

Vasile Guta-Ciucur likes this.

2. Vasile Guta-Ciucur

Vasile Guta-Ciucur Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 100D
    Canon Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 III
    Considering the time of the day and year you had to use an open aperture between 5.6 and 2.8... The distance says that you used a minimum of 50mm focal length... it could be any of the lens.

3. Robert Shears

Equipment:
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am personally of the opinion that it's the 50mm but the image just is not as sharp as I would have expected so might be the 35-70mm...or the result of budget film, processing and paper.
    I only we could go back in time, EXIF data from a digital camera would be so handy.

4. Vasile Guta-Ciucur

Vasile Guta-Ciucur Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 100D
    Canon Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 III
    Today, on a custom EOS film camera is possible to make the software to register on an SD card all the relevant informations for the frame. It is easy for me to make the firmware from scratch and to design the PCB, but making the film advance with a mechanic lever is much harder as I don't have yet the required tools and the experience.

5. BBzone28

BBzone28 Member

Equipment:
    Canon FX, A-1, AE-1, AL-1, T60, T90, F-1, new F-1, EOS Rebel II/G/2000/T2, EOS Elan IIe/7N, EOS 50D/20D/10D, Digital Rebel XS/XT/Original
    I keep looking at the left side wall and it "feels" like it has slight barrel distortion. Typical prime lenses are better corrected for distortion, and in addition the f/1.4 lens should have produced tack sharp images. The foreground/mid-ground texture on the sidewalk is lacking. Either that or your shutter speed was slightly slow for the focal length being used.
    My guess would lean in the direction that you used the zoom lens close to wide open aperture where it's softer and maybe towards the wide side of "normal" where slight barrel distortion may be present.

6. Robert Shears

Equipment:
    Konica Minolta 7D
    It was quite early on our first morning so I'm happy with your assessment and the zoom would probably have been close to wide open and my coffee consumption after only a couple of hours sleep along with the thrill of walking around Waikiki may have induced some camera shake.