1Ds Mark III LP-E4 battery problem

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by gpauwen, Oct 2, 2020.

1. gpauwen

gpauwen New Member

Equipment:
    1Ds Mark III
    I have not used my 1DS Mark III for quite a while (>2 years), and now there appears to be a problem with the LP-E4 battery. I fully charge it, turn the camera on, the camera LED shows the battery as full, but after a few minutes, the camera shuts down. I have looked around and found this information:

How should the LP-E4 be stored?

Lithium-ion batteries can hold a charge for a long time. However, these battery packs have a safety mechanism built-in that disables any re-charge if the voltage drops below a certain minimum level. To avoid this safety-trigger to be activated, the battery pack should be charged at least once every few months.

Does this mean that the battery is useless after not having been charged for two years ? Or is there a way to circumvent the 'safety-trigger' ?

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Sounds like you know how to handle the battery going forward. I am sure there are ways to try jump start them, but would say you can search for and try them at your own risk as the batteries can be pretty finicky. In any event they will probably not perform as well as they had again.