250D/SL3 LCD exposure question

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Peithos, May 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Peithos

Peithos New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 250D
    I have a 250D. I love the flip-out screen
    When in M (manual mode) I can use the screen to independently set shutter, exposure, ISO etc.
    However there is nothing on the screen to indicate that a correct exposure has been achieved or to show how far off exposure one is. In the optical viewfinder there is a line at the bottom and when the moving tick is centred exposure is good. Is there such an indicator on the LCD screen? What have I missed? Thanks.

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    not sure on your specific camera but on mine (M50) you can use the info button to cycle through the different screen displays and you can go into the wrench menu to set which of the available displays you get to see when you use the info button, i would think being canon they have something like that on yours, youtube is your friend here too

either way i find using the histogram a much better tool for nailing exposure, you can probably set that to be shown on the screen while shooting too, i 99% of the time use evf with histogram available there too

the histogram gives you a better understanding of the highlights, midtones and shadows are doing in the scene as you shoot

3. Peithos

Peithos New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 250D
    Thanks for that. Solved it.
    In "M" on the LCD one can adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO (each setting in its own little "box")
    Below these 3 boxes there is a static scale to do with exposure compensation/AEB.
    This can also act as the interactive scale that indicates whether the chosen settings result in a reasonable exposure... BUT...
    it has to be "activated" first by simply pressing the shutter button half-way down (like invoking auto-focus first before fully depressing to take the shot) The scale then springs to life with a little interactive "tick" moving left or right as you adjust the settings.