4K Video on Canon SL3 has blurry motion?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Miranda Jo, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Miranda Jo

Miranda Jo New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SL3 (200D)
    Hi. I just purchased a Canon SL3 and I've never shot with Canons nor in 4K before, so maybe this is normal. Whenever I try to shoot 4K video, if there's any motion in the shot, or if I move my camera (to do a pan or something) the video is really blurry and whatever I'm focused on will move sideways, like the dimensions of the object will actually be stretched, and then the object will lag and look normal once the camera is stable, or there's no movement. I have different lenses other than the kit lenses, and I tried with all lenses and turned image stabilization on and I can't seem to get rid of this effect. Maybe it is normal or there's something I'm missing in settings? I would appreciate any help I can get.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    This is due to the sensor scanning the scene quickly across the sensor not all at once. (CMOS vs CCD primarily)
    With the advent of using DSLRs for video circa a decade ago with the 5dm2, this became a thing. The term is "rolling shutter" and you can do some research on it. Here is the Wikipedia page to get you started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

3. Miranda Jo

Miranda Jo New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SL3 (200D)
    Thank you so so much. I was googling this but I didn't get far without the right terminology. Thanks again!

4. Gii

Gii New Member

Equipment:
    Canon G5X Mark II / Canon EOS R / RF 35mm / RF 24-105mm / EF 24mm TS-E Mark II / EF 100mm F2.8 IS Macro
    One easy thing to stop the rolling shutter is to set your shutter speed to double your frame rate so for 25fps set the shutter speed to 1/50