5D MKII Body & Lens Repair

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Alexi, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Alexi

Alexi New Member

Hi everyone,

First time poster, yet long time canon enthusiast! Wondering if I might get some advice from you chaps on the situation below.

As a summary - the unfortunate happened in the last few weeks and through an accident with a member of the public on job my 5D MKII with 17-40mm was toppled onto a hard surface.
    The result of this is a nasty body split to the lens mount area of the body; and with the lens - the mount splitting away from lens barrel requiring a complete rebuild.
    Following dropping them off at Wex/Fixation, I’ve been given a quote of c. £400 for the lens and £500 for the body repairs including
    replacing the mirror box assembly, cover, base plate, recalibration of focus/electrical system as well as an almost complete overhaul for the lens.

Now, looking at the figures would it be worthwhile pushing ahead with this, or the alternative of selling them for spares and using the money which would have gone into the repairs on a body upgrade (poss.used 5DMKIII) and when the funds allow an upgrade to the 17-40 (16-35 f4 etc).

I’m not a full time photog, I just get the odd paid job through my company/freelance, so not having a lens/body to hand isn’t the end of the world at the moment - just a frustrating inconvenience! My company has offered to pay for a proportion of the repairs (likely a few £100 - and yes there’s no damage smallprint/contract signed or insurance to cover this.. something I may think about if I end up doing the work more often).

Would I be better selling for spares and moving on, or gritting my teeth and paying for the repairs (when funds allow)?

Any and all opinions welcome.

Alexi

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    So let me see if i can simplify what I am reading. The repair cost is close to the replacement cost? I would probably buy new over repair if the cost isn't a big deal aka 400 vs 600 on the lens. Looks like the used market on the Mk2 is about the same as the repair? I guess id sell for parts and get a replacement. Do you upgrade to the Mk3, used/new idk maybe, is the upgrade going to be that big of a change for you? I didn't think the MK3 was that exciting of an upgrade, now the Mk 4 prices are starting to come down a little I may eventually upgrade to that. I don't think you have a wrong answer here, but maybe if cost is similar its worth selling for parts and buying one that wasn't completely wrecked, my two cents. I'd hate to repair and then have something come up down the road.

On the lens topic. The 17-40 is great, the 16-35 is great. Is upgrading to the 16-35 4.0 worth the money? I see the reason to pay for the 2.8 if you want it, but for the 4.0 I'm not buying in on spending the money on the 16-35 4.0 when the 17-40 is so much cheaper.

3. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    The exact same thing happened to me when I let a friend who I now love/secretly hate (joke!!sort of)- I sold the whole thing without doing anything to it to MPB and got a good amount of a replacement 'like new' 5D mk II. I love the model and if it aint broke don't fix it. I think I paid about £230 for the replacement which was all but pristine except for a superficial scratch on the bit where the strap goes through. My advice is don't repair- trade it for the same and pay a lot less or trade it, pay quite a bit more and upgrade if you really want to. You might find yourself missing your 5DmkII though- they are reliable workhorses as I'm sure you know with few flaws. Johnsey gives great advice by the way.......Amy :)

4. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    "off" a replacement- sorry I'm pedantic about spelling!!:D