5DMk4 - some images corrupted on download to Lightroom

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Pangolin, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Pangolin

Pangolin New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5Mk4, various L lenses,Rally Right Stuff accessories
    I have a problem that at random approx 5% of images are corrupted when seen in LR. Noot had this problem before, I have difficulties figuring where the problem lies. The images show a diagonal pattern on LR.
    What I have already done to troubleshoot by elimination:
    1. tried 3 different card readers
    2. tried 2 different SD cards
    3. when deleting the corrupt images and downloading them again into LR, some are then ok, others remain corrupted
    4. observed that when they download into LR, they are shown ok for a second and then turn corrupt ( as if a thumbnail is ok but the file not).

What is causing the problem?
    a) is the camera writing/reading corrupt? ( when flipping through the images on the camera display, they all show ok)
    b) I do not have the issue with other cameras in LR, only with the 5D lately.

Anybody seen this problem before?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Problem could be the storage on the computer starting to go bad, have you scanned the drive health? How old is the computer?
    It does not appear to be the camera, if you had other camera to verify this with that could help.
    You could also remove and reinstall lightroom, Also try making sure it is up to date... to remove LR as the culprit. I would have assumed it was the memory card myself but multiple cards would say it's elsewhere. Are they both the same age? Were the from the same purchase? I guess it could have been a bad batch of cards. I always used CF, so I cant speak to longevity of SD cards in my DSLRs.

3. John L

John L Active Member

Do they open OK in DPP?

4. Samy

Samy New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90D
    Sometimes wrong application settings can lead to corruption of RAW images. Also, there might be a possibility that the destination drive has an issue (maybe a corrupted file system) and the images are getting corrupted.

Firstly, you should Update the Lightroom application, and check your hard drive for bad sectors. You can also check this article to fix the issue, https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/lightroom-corrupting-raw-images/