77D Shutter Count

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by JOHN PATRICK HARRINGTON, Feb 8, 2020.

1. JOHN PATRICK HARRINGTON

JOHN PATRICK HARRINGTON New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 77d, canon 7d , canon 10-18mm STM, 70-200 f4 is, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM .
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum.
    I'm having trouble getting a shutter count for my 77d,
    Can anyone recommend a program ? Thanks

2. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Camera Shutter Count https://www.camerashuttercount.com/
    Works for me on Canon EOS-1Ds, Pentax K01D, Pentax K-3. Doesn't work on Canon EOS 20D as the count is not included in the EXIF on that camera. Should work on your 77D.

3. JOHN PATRICK HARRINGTON

Equipment:
    Canon 77d, canon 7d , canon 10-18mm STM, 70-200 f4 is, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM .
    Thanks for replying to my query.

I tried this but it doesnt work..

Here's what comes up below ...

Camera Shutter Count
    Find out how many shots your Digital SLR has taken
    Results
    Your camera doesn't add shutter count information to images.
    Click here for an alternative piece of Mac software which can read the count from your camera body.

4. rayallen

That is disappointing. I would have expected that the 77D, which is still a current model, would have had that data in the EXIF data.
    Here is another one you can try: http://www.freeshuttercount.com/ but if the data is not there it still won't work either.
    The only alternative is to take it to a Canon Service Centre but that may not be convenient.
    I really don't understand why they don't put that data into the EXIF when most other manufacturers do. It's not very difficult to do. :(

5. JOHN PATRICK HARRINGTON

Equipment:
    Thanks for replying Ray ,

I contacted Canon and they said the only way I can get the shutter count is to request it as part of a Canon service .
    So that answers that .

6. rayallen

Yes, it's the same deal for my old 20D but the shutter count is included in the EXIF data on my 1Ds which was made sometime between the end of 2002 and the end of 2004. So, it's not as though they don't know how to do it.