77d vs 80d!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by jamunmiks, Jul 10, 2019.

1. jamunmiks

jamunmiks New Member

Hey guys, first time poster and hopefully first time Canon owner soon. I am looking for something around the price range of the two models in the title
    This will be my first 'proper' dslr having used a Fujifilm x-s1 on which I couldn't change lenses. I aim to shoot mainly daylight portrait/landscape/buildings not professionally, but also might want to record some videos (I'm aware neither is 4k).

From my research the 77d seems to be quite a good alternative to the 80d, given that I am more of a beginner and do not have too much money to throw at it. I'm thinking of getting the 77d alongside a 1.8 50mm lens (aside from the stock).

Any thoughts and opinions would be welcome!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hello and welcome to the forums.

Regarding the camera choice, the best advice is to buy what you can afford. the 80D for the extra cost will feel more rugged have weather sealing and more manual customization, worth the jump if you can afford it to slow down any want to upgrade later. Definitely more camera than you need at a beginner level however.

The 50mm 1.8 is very nice for its cost but soft wide open. I wished I would have went to the 1.4 right away in hindsight. You can also get the 1.8 used or buy the yongnuo in EF mount for about half the cost of the 1.8 new. May be worth considering as there are plenty out in the market that get sold cheap when people upgrade to the better 50mm.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. jamunmiks

jamunmiks New Member

egarding the camera choice, the best advice is to buy what you can afford. the 80D for the extra cost will feel more rugged have weather sealing and more manual customization, worth the jump if you can afford it to slow down any want to upgrade later. Defiantly more camera than you need at a beginner level however.

The 50mm 1.8 is very nice for its cost but soft wide open. I wished I would have went to the 1.4 right away in hindsight. You can also get the 1.8 used or buy the yongnuo in EF mount for about half the cost of the 1.8 new. May be worth considering as there are plenty out in the market that get sold cheap when people upgrade to the better 50mm.

my issue got solved!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  4. Leo_B

Leo_B New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D, 18-55, 55-250
    Welcome to the forum. Right now Canon is selling refurbished 80D with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses for $699, an extremely good deal. Good luck with whatever you do.