80D built in flash will not fire

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Brian S, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    I have a new 80D. The built in flash can be manually raised by pressing the flash button or will raise automatically in, for example, A+ setting. Sometimes it will flash very briefly I assume for focus assist. But when the shutter release is pressed fully ‘BUSY’ and the flash icon appear very briefly in an orange box at the top of the rear screen but the flash does not fire. I have carefully pressed and released the sprung lever in the hot shoe to press the small black disable switch but that hasn’t fixed it. My 550EX Speedlite works perfectly in the hot shoe.
    The attached photo is a frame from a video which captured the ‘BUSY’ moment.
    Any ideas why the built in flash won’t fire? A28E4C91-1A0D-46FB-A99D-126C4CA74883.jpeg

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hi Brian, I saw some posts online about built in flashes not working, seems that people ended up verifying the issue with some tests from canon and had to send in for repair. Since you camera is new I would not hesitate to call and run through some tests with them so you can get it covered under warranty.

You should probably make sure to test the issue with the most up to date firmware first however, not sure if you keep firmware updated but this could be a software bug which was fixed in updated firmware. I just don't want you to have to update the firmware after calling Canon as they will probably ask you to do that and also perform a reset to clear all custom functions. May as well save time and verify those did not fix the issue before you call.

3. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Thanks Johnsey. Elsewhere I have been told that because I bought it as new from someone who received it as a gift but did not want it the warranty would not tranfer to me. Also some people have rightly pointed out that the on-camera flasj is far from ideal because of red eye and such. I do use bounce flash with my Canon flashgun occasionally but not having a working on-camera flash is no great problem. Nevertheless I will pursue this.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well yes that makes registering it tricky, to be fair if I received it as a gift I would feel entitled to register it and see if the one who gave it to me could provide a receipt to register. I would have likely asked the same buying it unopened "used" from someone who got it new as a gift. The way i see it is the camera is entitled to be covered for that first year after purchase, so I would and try to register it if I could. But to be honest personally I have a tendency to not register and then have to go back and provide info when talking with customer service at companies if something goes wrong. This usually is pretty painless with most companies, they can look at serial number, and can usually find the transaction receipt online ( I save paper copies of big ticket items in a file) and those will usually work to back register a product while on customer support. You could say it was a Christmas gift, and you will look to see if you can get a receipt.

All that aside, I would agree that on camera flash really is not ideal in any situation, not just in regards to red eye but just in general for creating flattering or interesting light. I had it on my 20D and pretty much never used it. I would try to get it registered and or fixed but I am not sure how far I would take it if that becomes problematic.

5. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Greetings,

I had the same problem with my refurbished Canon EOS 80D, purchased directly from Canon. Not only would the flash not fire, it would not pop up when I needed it to. Rather than contact Canon, I just went ahead and reset the factory settings and that resolved the issues. I do like the Canon EOS 80D's built-in flash as it does provide some really excellent close up and Macro images even with the Canon EF-S 18~55mm, IS, STM Lens. Hope this helps. Tony

6. Brian S

Brian S New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Thanks. I'll give that a try.