80D vs 77D

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by tbee, Aug 24, 2019.

1. tbee

tbee New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS80D, Canon 70-300mm/f4-5.6 USM II, Canon 15-85mm/f3.5-5.6, Canon 100mm/f2.8 L macro, Canon 24mm/f2.8
    I recently swapped my 77D for a new 80D and after 2,000+ shots I'm disappointed not to see anywhere near the same keeper rate as I was achieving with the 77D.

The handling of the 80D is better than of the 77D, the dedicated buttons making it far easier to change settings when required. Also, the additional weight and larger dimensions make it more comfortable with heavier and longer lenses. However, no matter what exposure settings I use the 80D always seem prone to overexposure and seems less able to cope with higher contrast scenes. Autofocus is less reliable and tends not to lock on as quickly as the 77D. I've tried applying various settings (tracking speed, etc) but it still doesn't seem to be as accurate as the 77D. Rightly or wrongly, I'm putting this down to an upgraded sensor in the 77D making the autofocus more snappy.

I assumed the 80D would offer an improvement over the 77D with regard to reliably capturing images but that seems not to be the case. I intend exchanging the 80D for the new 90D as soon as it's available and I recommend anyone considering changing to the 80D to try one before committing to a purchase as, in my opinion, it just hasn't lived up to my expectations.