8K Video Not Recognised By Computer

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Ian Docwra, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Ian Docwra

Ian Docwra New Member

Equipment:
    R5, RF24-240, RFx2, RF600.
    This may be more of a computer issue than camera, but my EOS R5-shot 8K videos are not recognised by my MacBookPro (MBP), whereas the 4K ones are. A message about the 8K file type (MP4) being not recognised appears, whereas the 4K MP4s are OK. Have I overlooked something obvious, and does anyone have an idea how I can play them on my MBP? I've only shot very short test 8K videos so far (10s or so). Thanks.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    This could be a few things, it could be a codec issue for the software you are using as i believe support for the video compression is limited to a number of the newer successor video compression formats. Also, depending on if you are trying to view or edit the video I would be curious the specs on that MBP laptop, shooting at this resolution does require a lot of processing power.

https://www.videomaker.com/how-to/editing/editing-in-8k-minimum-system-requirements/

3. Ian Docwra

Ian Docwra New Member

Equipment:
    Many thanks. I think essentially the 8K video is unusable for non-professionals because, as you say, most of the rest of the tech. world hasn't caught up with its requirements yet. I can't even view the short 8K test video I shot as anything other than a series of jerky clips - it won't play usably on my 2018 MBP with 'Big Sur' 11.2.3. The only use I can see for me until things catch up is for short bursts to use to extract stills from. Thanks again.

4. Ellinor William

Ellinor William New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90DSLR
    Go to Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Displays. In Display Settings, make sure that High Dynamic Range is selected. This setting appears only on third-party displays that support HDR10, not on built-in displays. However some *K video features are available only with the latest macOS.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210980

5. Ian Docwra

Ian Docwra New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks. I tried that but my 2018 MBP has no option to select HDR in the 'Display' menu. I strongly suspect it is not a display issue but one of processing capability. The new MBP's blurb boasts that it is 8K-capable, so I imagine my current one will never be able to show it. Then, of course, there is the lack of ability of, in particular, YouTube to show it anyway.

Ellinor William likes this.
  6. Joey Williams

Joey Williams Member

Equipment:
    Sony Alpha 77
    It may be possible that your Mac doesn't support 8K videos. You can search over the internet if the make (year) of the model of your MacbookPro supports playing any 8k videos because I had the same issue with my other device while playing 8k videos and then I got to know that the screen associated with that device does not allow to play 8k videos as it was not compatible with it.