A LITTLE HELP?

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by victoria, Mar 16, 2023.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Equipment:
    canon 1200d
    Hi, guys. I'm starting my career as a photographer and I need to change my canon 1200d camera, I'm in doubt between the canon m50 mark ii and the canon 80d. I'm looking for something that can offer me good quality both in video and in photo. I saw that the problem with the m50 was the battery and that of the 80d, I wasn't very convinced with the video quality. I wanted some opinions from people who have used both cameras to know which path to choose. Thank uuuuuuuuu

2. Joey Williams

Joey Williams Member

Equipment:
    Sony Alpha 77
    Both the Canon M50 Mark II and the Canon 80D are great cameras with their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Here are some factors to consider when deciding which camera to choose:
    1. Sensor: The M50 Mark II has a smaller APS-C sensor compared to the 80D, which has an APS-C sensor. The larger sensor of the 80D may provide better image quality, especially in low-light situations.

2. Video quality: Both cameras offer good video quality, but the M50 Mark II is more geared towards video, offering 4K recording and a vari-angle touchscreen. The 80D, on the other hand, offers only 1080p recording, but it does have better autofocus for video.

3. Battery life: As you mentioned, the M50 Mark II has a smaller battery compared to the 80D. However, this can be mitigated by carrying extra batteries or a portable battery pack.

4. Lens selection: The M50 Mark II uses Canon's EF-M lens mount, while the 80D uses the EF/EF-S mount. The EF/EF-S mount has a wider range of lenses available, including more professional-grade lenses.
    Ultimately, the decision comes down to your personal preferences and shooting needs. If you prioritize video and want a camera that is more compact and portable, the M50 Mark II may be the better choice. However, if you prioritize image quality and want access to a wider range of lenses, the 80D may be a better option.

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    welcome to the forum, Victoria. I have no experience with any of the M series but I have done a lot of video with the 80D and the 60D. Of cause the 80D is superior to the 60D and I found the 80D excellent to use, I do suggest you go to a camera shop with your lenses and try a 80D or the new 90D in video mode. The 80D has a time limit for videoing so you have to shoot a series of clips and join them together in post such as photoshop or similar software. The single images are excellent but use good lenses for proffessional results.