A quick evaluation of a FD to EOS adapter.

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Robert Shears, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Robert Shears

Robert Shears Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-5, K-r, K20D, K100D Super.
    Canon G5, Canon 450D, Eos 100, 500, 600, T70 and T90
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Various OEM and 3rd party lenses in Pentax, Minolta and Canon.
    I bought a cheap no name adapter to enable use of my FD lenses on digital. My primes would be favourite especially the FDn 50mm F1.4. £5.00 plus postage.
    After a little hassle where I found that the contacts on the adapter provided nothing but overexposure problems I taped the contacts up and shot a few.
    My observations are;
    The contacts on the adapter should be ignored unless you get an adapter where they provide a function that works.
    This adapter does not quite allow for infinity focus (even though it has a glass element) but depth of field stopped down will reach infinity.
    Images were better when close and up to 10 to 15 feet, worsening as the subject approached infinity.
    Images taken with this adapter are fairly good around F8 but suffer with reductions in sharpness, contrast and CAs when approaching the wide open and closed apertures and infinity.
    By fairly good, I mean I might use this with my 50mm at F8.
    The adapter needed at least 2 stops underexposure on a Canon 20D. Maybe 1/3rd on the 350D.
    I would be interested in the opinions of a better "name" adapter as to ability.
    Image of the adapter and an image taken with Canon FDn 70-210mm F:4 IMG_9422 (1024x683).jpg IMG_9547.JPG