Adapting YN600EX-RT to fire wirelessly through PC sync

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Ctrout, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Ctrout

Ctrout New Member

Equipment:
    5D4, 7D2, Elan 7s, EOS 3, 100-400L2, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105L, 50mm 1.4
    Mamiya C33 Pro, Mamiya RB67 Pro S, 50mm Sekor C, 127mm Sekor C
    Nikonos V, 35mm f2.5
    and about 100 pounds of pentax M42, K, and M gear
    I have tons of different gear from a bunch of different manufacturers, but the majority of my cash has been invested in Canon EOS compatible stuff. As a result, I have three Yongnuo YN600EX-RT flashes and the YN-E3-RT trigger. These work amazingly well on my 5D4, my 7D2, Elan 7s, and EOS 3. Being dedicated units, they should work well.

I also have a bunch of Pentax manual focus 35mm gear, dating from the mid-1950s through the mid-1980s. Additionally, I have some Mamiya medium format gear that I would also like to adapt the Yongnuo flashes to. I would like to do this wirelessly, just like I do with the Canon gear. Of course, I realize that I would lose the dedicated functionality like ETTL and HSS.

So far, I have been unsuccessful. I have updated the flash equipment to the latest firmware. For testing, I have been using one of my Pentax MX bodies because it has only single-pin flash firing and I figured that the only way to get this gear to work with my older M42 Pentax gear and my Mamiya gear is through pc sync and an externat hot shoe. I can get the YN600s to fire in the MX's hot shoe ONLY in ETTL mode. I tried to set the camera mounted flash as the trigger with another YN600 as the slave and although the shoe mounted flash fired and I had a green sync light on both units, the slaved flash will not fire. I also tried the YN-E3-RT trigger. I was able to fully control the slave flash and change the settings remotely by pushing the test button, but when I fire the camera's shutter, there is no flash.

I was thinking about trying the YN RF-602 or 603, but I read somewhere that the PC socket on those units is output only and will not fire the YN-E3-RT. Is there an inexpensive alternative that will allow me to use my YN600EX-RTs wirelessly, as off-camera lights with a PC sync operated trigger?

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I have similar problem, I have a heap of canon gear and a mix of cheap flash units so I trigger them with 602 transmitter units, all work fine but my Mamaya C3 has a PC port, I have not tried to put flash units on it but on EBAY there are Canon hotshoe to pc adapters for 12 dollars, so with a pc cord to one of these adapters and a 602 in transmit mode should be able to fire the flash units, (with manual settings) with the 602 in receiver mode. Hope this is of some help, please let me know how you go with the C330 with the 602
    regards Craig S.