AEB Shooting

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by CraigWA, Apr 30, 2021.

1. CraigWA

CraigWA New Member

Equipment:
    Camera: EOS 6D; Lenses: Canon 24-105mm, Canon 75-300mm
    Lens: William Optics ZenithStar 61
    Camera: Canon EOS 6D Mark II
    Re: AEB shooting
    Goal: To take the selected # of shots with one-push of the shutter

Whether using Pixel Pro or the camera shutter I get the following results:

1) Pixel Pro: camera drive and Pixel mode set to continuous: the shutter must be held down to complete the number of shots

2) Pixel Pro: camera drive set to Self timer 2/10 sec/remote, Pixel mode set to continuous: push the shutter only once and number of shots are completed albeit with a delay

3) Camera: drive set to continuous: the shutter must be held down to complete the number of shots

4) Camera: drive set to Self timer 2/10 sec/remote: push the shutter only once and number of shots are completed albeit with a delay

Is there a way to push the shutter only once without the 2/10 sec delay? I suppose holding down the shutter until completed is not that bad. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I can't imagine this is really possible unless you have a camera without a mechanical shutter. In fact many times the camera is bracketing using the shutter speed as the adjusted factor in the bracketed exposure.

Breaking down a few things mentioned above, those options operate as they do regardless of AEB.
    • Single shot verses continuous: Continuous allows shutter to rapid fire as long as the shutter is held, you can burn through multiple AEB cycles, it is a shutter button behavior not an AEB behavior.
    • 2/10 Second Timer/Remote: this will add the time to the shutter click to allow vibration for long exposures to not be a factor if you click on the camera or for the person to for example get in the frame on a 10 sec, regardless if camera is used or remote shutter this is all about simply adding a small buffer of time before the shot is taken, I would not have thought to use this with AEB, but it seems it want to complete the AEB cycle using that delay.
    I should mention that AEB has been around since film days and it is about setting a predetermined level of stops of light difference for under and over exposure, not about automating the shutter (and in film days film advance).

rayallen likes this.
  3. ericsears

ericsears New Member

Oh, great! Quite complete