Attracting insects..

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Tips' started by EdTX409, Jul 1, 2021.

1. EdTX409

EdTX409 Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50, Canon EOS R, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-210 f/4, Sigma 150mm Macro, Canon EF 24-105 f/4
    I guess this is looking for tips. What are some good ways to attract different insects to an area so I can do some macro shots? I put a 2ftX2ft piece of plywood on the ground in the backyard. I should get some snails and whatnot under it with all this rain we have been getting. But I also want to set something up undercover (just due to the rain) so I can mess around without getting soaked. I will be putting out some bananas to see if I can attract some butterflies.

Thanks

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I would be looking at creating an environment that insects would be attracted to. And keeping that environment so that they know that there is food and shelter. It depends on what sort of insects that you are looking at attracting and what they like. So flowers for flying insects. We have plants that attract certain butterflies. We have bird seed and feeders for the birds. Just remember to put out a source of water.

Gary

3. EdTX409

EdTX409 Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50, Canon EOS R, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-210 f/4, Sigma 150mm Macro, Canon EF 24-105 f/4
    All the flowering plants we had pretty much died off in that freeze we had in Texas back in Feb. I just put out some seeds not long ago. I just wanna attract whatever. I normally get a lot of bees in the summer. I don't know why but when I smoke a cigar, they start coming around.

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Mrs GDN has informed me that bees are very susceptible to poison and if possible remove all chemicals.

Also can you get your other half to smoke a cigar while you concentrate on your photography?

Gary

5. EdTX409

EdTX409 Member

Equipment:
    Heh, no other half here. The bees just start headed to me when I have a cigar. I find it odd. I don't simple cigars around my camera gear since I do not need them to smell like it.

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Mrs GDN said to try mixing up some sugar and water to feed them with. They also need something to feed from so they don't fall into the mix and drown. A small bit of wood or polystyrene that floats.

Gary