Autofocus Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Richard V, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Richard V

Richard V New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon A2 film camera
    Canon EOS 1DS MkII digital
    Canon 70-200 f4 L lens
    Mamiya RB 67
    Calumet 5X4 rail camera
    Tachihara 5X4 field camera
    Ok folks, here's one I haven't come across before: I recently purchased a Canon 70-200 f4L lens in (seemingly) great condition. Yesterday I was shooting pics of birds in a group of trees several hundreds yards away. As I swung the zoom all the way to 200, the auto-focus started having trouble locking in and just kept on trying but not achieving focus. I took it off "auto" and put it in manual, and of course it focused beautifully. So it's not the glass.
    I then played with different zoom settings, and found that auto-focus had no issues up to about the 135mm spot, and also at much shorter distances. At this point I was unsure if it was the lens or the camera so I took
    the lens off the camera (a 1DS MkII) and put it on my Rebel XS, and the lens still was having trouble. To test further, I put my old consumer lens, an EF 75-300 f4-5.6II to the 1DS and it slammed quickly into focus at all distances and zoom positions.
    I've since gone on line and found it could be anything from dirty contacts to needing the sensor cleaned, but I thought of posting here today just in case someone out there has previously had a similar experience.
    I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

2. Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Eos 40D, Canon 18-55mm, lots of adapters for other lenses
    Nikon D7000, Sigma 18-200mm DC, Tamron XR 28-300mm, Nikon AF 50mm 1.4, Samyang 8mm f3.8, Sigma EX 50 2.8D macro, Sigma APO 170-500 5-6.3D, etc.
    Panasonic Lumix G1, 14-42 3.5-5.6, lots of adapters
    Pentax K200, Pentax 18-55mm
    Sony A230, Sony 18-70 3.5-5.6
    Sony A3500 18-55 several adapters
    Fuji FinePix S5700.
    Sony DSC-V1 with infrared kit.
    FLIR One thermal imaging camera for iPhone
    What was the lighting like? And was focus confirm working when you used it manually?

3. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    + some old manual focus optics :)
    hmm..this scenario sounds like a very common problem with the 17-85mm lenses. Turns out the aperture flexi cable inside gets damaged & needs to be replaced. I have one, need to gather the nerve & get quality screwdrivers before opening her up.
    Haven't heard about this scenario with your lens though but just did a quick glance online and there appears to be a good few cases of a slightly different issue with your lens' focus mechanism..solution for which would be to change the USM unit? Give a look online.

www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3347211

this may help
    www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4L-IS-USM-Focus-Assembly-AF-Focus-Motor-Replacement-Part-/332155448634

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Richard V

Equipment:
    Canon A2 film camera
    Canon 70-200 f4 L lens
    Mamiya RB 67
    Calumet 5X4 rail camera
    Thanks for the feedback, guys...alas I took it back to the store, who carries a 60-days guaranty on used purchases. They are sending it
    in to Canon to be looked at. Won't cost me a dime, and I should hear something back in 2-3 weeks. I'll bring you up to date at that time.
    Thanks again very much!

Richard V

5. Robert Shears

Robert Shears Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-5, K-r, K20D, K100D Super.
    Canon G5, Canon 450D, Eos 100, 500, 600, T70 and T90
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Various OEM and 3rd party lenses in Pentax, Minolta and Canon.
    I would be interested to see if someone can repair a lens with a broken flexi cable. I have a Sigma 24-135mm with this problem. I am considering giving it away (or throwing it away) but if it can be fixed maybe I will have it repaired.

Attached Files:

6. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    Hello Robert, a quick look on fleabay shows that the cable you require is easily available & at a very low price.
    If you are a DIY tinkering type, would be worth it to open it up yourself.
    Always helps to takes loads of photos or videos of the whole disassembly process, also make notes, draw layouts of screw locations, etc.
    I myself am learning through experience & have opened just about 7 old vintage lenses, successfully cleaned & put back together..
    In my learning, i have killed 2 lenses...one i still can't figure out the combination of lens elements to get it working right & the other a cz with the tension ring(which i had no clue about..lol..these amateurs eh....haha)...can't fit it back together..i do regret i opened that one up without prior knowledge.
    Finding someone to fix yours really depends on where you are located. I know someone here in eire who is well versed with lens repairs & charges a fee.

Vasile Guta-Ciucur likes this.
  7. Robert Shears

Equipment:
    Konica Minolta 7D
    I am not accomplished at DIY, while I have managed to fit some new light seals to my old K1000 with reasonable success, I have managed to kill a teleconverter that I opened up to clean some dust off the glass. I must try every combination of the lenses again till it works. Soldering a new tape into the lens is well beyond my ability and courage.
    I am in Hampshire, England, so would hope to find somebody over here that might be able to replace the flexi tape. I currently don't have a Canon digital camera but am always looking out for a bargain and would like to be able to use this lens as it gets good reviews.
    I sold my Eos 10D and Canon 70-300mm IS to fund the purchase of a Pentax K-5, wish I had kept the lens it was great in comparison to the Tamron and Sigma budget lenses I use on my K-5.

8. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    Well, i'd say in the UK would be even more easy to find good repair people...a quick ggle search online now got me a few results...one based in surrey with a quotation online of £45 for aperture repairs..that maybe is a bit much for the lens you mention as i'm not sure the value..but a nikon fit of the same went sometime ago here in the used sales for about 100euros.
    Do go through a few shops though, try to speak by phone or if close enough of course visit & only then make your choice. Better to not have anyone open it up than someone not careful & efficient...(like me with my CZ..hhaha..little lightheaded jokin here anyways...it definitely taught me a thing or two..& that's valuable..eheh)
    And if not, maybe someone experienced & close to you comes on here to the forums & lends a helping hand :) !!!

9. Robert Shears

Equipment:
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Thank you for looking in to it. I did get a quote for a plastic bayonet repair at a well known repair house here in England, plus a quote for the parts for me to have a go myself on an Olympus 4/3 lens that my great niece has. It worked out cheaper to by a 2nd hand lens from them so I did that.
    You are right about the lens repair cost of £45 (when added to the £35 I paid for the lens) being more than it might be worth to me.
    I might offer it up free in the forum for someone that would like to have a go at repairing it themselves.

10. Richard V

Equipment:
    Canon A2 film camera
    Canon 70-200 f4 L lens
    Mamiya RB 67
    Calumet 5X4 rail camera
    Thank you for your response and also that link for the new USM part via eBay. I checked with my local camera store and found out they approved the repair amount to Canon, and I should have the lens back in about a week to ten days. I have book-marked the link you sent for future reference though. Thanks again very much...
    Richard Vaara
    Everett, WA

11. Richard V

Equipment:
    Canon A2 film camera
    Canon 70-200 f4 L lens
    Mamiya RB 67
    Calumet 5X4 rail camera
    Hello Marcus, and sorry I did not respond earlier to your question. The light was broad daylight, on a sunny day. I was shooting at a high angle to the tree tops against a bright blue sky...normally a no-brainer even for my older Canon AF lenses. The AF was just not locking on to the image in the viewfinder; my local camera store checked it out too and called it "chattering", as the lens was basically going in and out only a few millimeters trying its darndest to lock on. And no, when I went into manual, I did not get the focus beep tone or confirmation of focus. The camera store did approve the repair amount to Canon and I should have my lens back in about a week or so. Hopefully I will also be told what the issue was, for my own information. Thanks for your question, Marcus.

Richard