Battery Question

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Vince Gardner, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Vince Gardner

Vince Gardner New Member

Equipment:
    EOS T6 Rebel dslr
    Hey folks,
    I’ve had my EOS T6 Rebel for almost 2 years now. This is my first dslr. Recently I started experimenting with time lapse video/shots via a virtual assistant and I find that a full battery (stock that came with the camera), dies out after about 2 hours. I’m actually hoping to take some prolonged time lapse (like 6-7 hours real time). Is there a compatible battery that can get me even close to that?? I see a bunch of options on amazon etc. but have no idea which ones will hold up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    From doing my own research when looking at buying extra batteries for my 80D and M50, it would appear that after market batteries are not as good as the genuine Canon ones. Some aftermarket battery producers claim that their batteries have a larger capacity than that of the genuine one but after you buy them they turn out to be on par or worse than the original, not only that but the lifespan of these after market batteries is significantly shorter than genuine. I would suggest buying only genuine batteries for your camera, as in the long run you 'll probably spend more replacing your after market batts more frequently.

Additionally you could try a battery grip which allows you to insert 2 batteries into your camera. It seems that Canon never produced a genuine battery grip for the 1300D/T6 Rebel but aftermarket brands such as Neewer and Velo offer them.

Link Neewer grip

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I have found a similar thing with earlier model Canons. I think I read at the time that Canon cameras give a false battery charge reading for after market batteries, they do this to push you into using the more expensive original equipment.

4. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

I have two different situations. I have two older Canons - an EOS-1Ds and a 20D.
    The 1Ds came with one genuine battery and charger. I wanted to have a spare battery but Canon no longer make the required battery so I was forced to buy non-genuine and I got two batteries from eBay which are much more powerful than the genuine one and they last much longer and have been very reliable.
    The 20D came with two genuine batteries but no charger. I got a charger from eBay which also came with two non-genuine batteries which work but which do not last as long as the genuines but start out with the same voltage after charging.
    So, my advice would be to buy genuine Canon batteries. Otherwise, you get what you pay for.

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Would one of these work for you?

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ac-adapter-kit-ack-e18

Looks to be mains powered. But of course in you are not near a power socket, could you use a large 12 volt battery and an inverter?

Gary

6. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I was in the same boat with my 1Dmark3 and my 10D, the cheap after-market batteries for the 10D would only last about 2/3 as long as the genuine battery with all using the same charger.

rayallen likes this.