Beginner questions for M50 MK II lenses

Discussion in 'Canon EOS M Series' started by C. Richard Archie, May 14, 2021.

1. C. Richard Archie

C. Richard Archie New Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50 MKII
    I am just getting started in production of videos for a membership based group I am involved in, and wanting to produce information vides for use by home schoolers.

I will have three basic needs, talking head videos, filming speakers at meetings and live streaming as I am still working from home and do a lot of Zoom Meetings.

Being a neophyte, I have decided to go with the M50 MKII for the clean HDMI output, I am in no way a professional but am trying to set up to do a decent job of production. I have obtained a decent lighting system and have studied the various uses and types. (My cheap webcam now produces much better results with the upgraded lighting)

I have a soundboard and good quality mics, the last piece I think for my purposes is the camera system. My studio (laughingly describing half of an upstairs bedroom repurposed from being a catch all for grown children's memorabilia they refuse to shed but have no space for) The distance would be 5-6 feet from teleprompter to subject with another 4 feet to green screen for virtual backgrounds. Filming meeting would vary from 25-45 feet approximate but that is the lessor of the needs.

Which two lenses would satisfy the listed criteria?

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Hello, Richard, I filmed some some videos for my local community house at which i teach a photography class, all done on my 60D and the community house's 80D. most of the filming was done using a 24 to 104 zoom lens. All the editing was done in Photoshop. 2017. If you need any help with editing in Photoshop my I suggest you check out you tube as there is a wealth of info there. any other question we are here to help.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Sounds like you may want a wide and a medium length zoom. Have you considered the 15-45 and the 55-200?

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    or the 11-22mm and 18-150mm both native efm lenses.
    Question which lenses do you already have?
    if you can go to a shop to do a couple of focal distance tests you might want to try out a couple of faster primes (yes i read your bit about lighting)
    when i got my M50 i got it with the 15-45 and 55-200 so i was able to use those lenses to test out what primes i might also like
    if you can try out some zoom lenses at you studio it might help choose between a zoom or faster prime

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  5. C. Richard Archie

C. Richard Archie New Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50 MKII
    I have the kit lens, and I plan on doing mostly talking head videos of just myself or at most one other person, as an interview.
    Secondarily, I am seriously thinking of the 55-200mm for shooting my grand daughter's Senior year of volleyball.
    I am an absolute novice and have been trying to research and watch as many you tube videos as possible. Prime lenses look good but I am not sure I am ready at this point to jump in. The Sigma 16 f1.4 looks great for a lot of things, but I suspect i need to get a little down the road for that.

6. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    55-200mm is a great lens, it works well with the standard kit lens. if you get it grab a set of efm extension tubes too, i have the Dorr ones, the bring the minimum close up distance down from its normal distance to 0 for great close ups of near things like bugs or flowers.

if you dont have any plans on getting a 100-400mm lens its a good option, reason i say this is after having the lenses i have the efm 18-150mm and sigma 100-400mm make a great pair for covering a long range of focals.

i personally dont do video stuff but my gf does some youtube vlogs and does fine with the standard kit lens and no extra lighting

as for a prime , the set sigma have for the efm seem popular and get great reveiws, i've not heard anyone say they are rubbish
    as they have a ƒ1.4 aperture they would make a great indoor talking head lens
    i went with the canon efm 32mm 1.4 its a bit more pricey but its a fantastic lens, works great for everyday shooting, i aslo like its native body size to the efm.

as for the volley ball session its a choice of the 200mm long end vs the usability of the 18mm on the 18-150mm
    the IS on both lenses is great.

i decided a while back i love the M50's compact side so i invested in the M lenses quite a bit, i have similar ef and efm focal ranges, there are times when taking out big ef glass is good and there are times when i just want to take the camera and one lens out so the efm lenses come in really useful