Best Canon for film photgraphy?

Discussion in 'Canon Film SLRs' started by shovax, Feb 2, 2019.

1. shovax

shovax New Member

Hi everyone, I have EOS 60D, but I always shoot also on film. Recently I go back more to films, becouse I got few kilometers TechPan film for free :) On film I shoot on Praktica PLT3.
    But I got some good lenses for my digital Canon, and I like to use them on film.
    It seems, that EOS film cameras was produced just for AF lenses, so yes, I can use on them my EF lenses from digital, but I like to use also old manual lenses wth M42 adaptor, and there starts my problem.
    Focusing screens on EOS cameras havent anything to help manual focus, like some raster or split-screen.
    Can you recommend some EOS model, which has a possibility to change focus screen, and also a model of this focus screen? Its hell trying to find any information about that, since all search results on google are about digital EOS...
    Thanks!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    EOS-1, 1N,1V, and EOS-3 all take EOS lenses and have focusing screens that can be switched out. If you come upon a nice kit for the FD mount a F1 would be your camera.

shovax likes this.
  3. shovax

shovax New Member

That was actualy very hepfull post, thank you very much. I will go for EOS 1N, very reasonable price on ebay.

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    EOS 630. I picked up mine for less then the cost of a couple of coffee's.

Gary

shovax likes this.
  5. Robert Shears

Robert Shears Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-5, K-r, K20D, K100D Super.
    Canon G5, Canon 450D, Eos 100, 500, 600, T70 and T90
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Various OEM and 3rd party lenses in Pentax, Minolta and Canon.
    I have a couple of Canon T90's, oddly enough I got them out yesterday to exercise the shutter and hopefully prevent any problems, shot an old film and reminded myself of just how good a camera it is.
    I have both FD to EOS and M42 to EOS adapters that I have used on my digital but prefer the focussing screen on the T90.
    The good news about Canon film cameras is that they are cheap enough to buy a couple....or a few!
    Enjoy.

6. Msgt William Toprock

Msgt William Toprock New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EF Film Camera.
    Good Afternoon. I received a Canon EF Film Camera for my Birthday in 1974. I always liked this camera, both of my kids have used it but is has set idle for the last 15-20 years. I seems to still work fine but I am going to send it in and have everything checked over. It is hard to figure if the shutter timing is still accurate or the electronics are still working normally. But, especially since it was a gift from my family, I really like this camera and am getting ready to order a new SX70- LH , I figure it's time to go digital !!

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Did you mean the Canon SX70 HS bridge camera? (I prefer the old Polaroid SX-70 ;) ) I do like the idea of a bridge camera for the really long zoom. Otherwise you get a camera with a single fixed lens and intro level dslr interface. Since your already versed in shooting with SLRs I would consider getting a used DSLR a few generations old from the middle tier bodies. Maybe a 60D? You get more shooting control to familiarize yourself with and you can mount whatever lens you like, you can always upgrade body/lenses later.

8. Michael Sowsun

Michael Sowsun New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D3 80D SL1
    If the OP has a few different film camera lenses, I would recommend a mirrorless camera like a Canon M, M2, M3, etc because there are simple, (cheap) adapters available to allow these lenses to be used on digital mirrorless cameras.