Best format for photo presentation

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Luci Wright, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Luci Wright

Luci Wright New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T3i, 18-135mm telephoto lens
    I'm wondering how other amateur photographers store & present their photos. I've been organizing the photos from my Canon Rebel T3i into movies and storing them on a flash drive. Then I plug the flash drive into an OPPO universal player and show on a Pioneer Plasma TV. The pictures look good, but slightly stretched to fill the screen. However, the movies of waterfalls don't play smoothly---very jerky.

Is a flashdrive the best medium for HD photos or does anyone else have a better solution? I want to be able to organize photos by specific trips, so don't want to have to search on my camera using an HDMI cable every time to connect to the TV.

If the consensus is that a flashdrive is a good medium, does anyone know how to avoid the jerky waterfall problem? I was using a Kingston DataTravelor 3.0. Thank you very much!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Its probably not the usb drive, that is 3.0 speed and I would think 2.0 would have worked.
    Does your TV have a usb slot and read video? Many Tvs and dvd plays both do this. I would maybe look at the video output, depending on the video format and how much you compressed it you may have the problem in the video file, or the players ability to read it and buffer it off of your usb drive.

3. Luci Wright

Luci Wright New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I can use the usb slot on my TV. The Flash drive plays the waterfall movies fine when in the usb slot as opposed to using the Oppo; however, there is a digital shimmer on a number of pictures that is distracting. That's why we switched to using the Oppo as we don't get that shimmer. I'm not sure how to assess the amount of compression of my files. I download the photos from my Canon into the PC and use Windows Live Movie Maker to make the movies, which supposedly finalizes them in HD 1920 x 1080 format. Is there a better way to store pictures in movie format than using a Flash drive? If not, how do I avoid that shimmer? Is one flash drive better than another for archiving and showing photos? Thanks!

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The flash drive really isn't an issue there is nothing special about any of them, other than usb read/write speed. I would check the settings when you export, if there is anything in the settings compressing to save file space in a given format you can dial that back and have a larger file size, my guess if the file is being compressed to save file space and the waterfall is how it shows up. The second guess would be the format used your player doesn't like. I haven't used windows movie maker in probably 15 years, when I used to play around with videos more, now if i do a slideshow I just make one in imovie. But it looks like windows movie does have some format options. WMV is the native file format, you may have better luck with Mp4 since it looks like that is an option.

upload_2020-7-13_8-12-35.png

5. Luci Wright

Luci Wright New Member

Equipment:
    Thank you again. I probably need you at my house watching the process! I've never seen a screen like this and when I make a movie with WMV it's in the HD setting. Once it's finalized, I send it directly to the Flash Drive with a right click on the mouse, so I'm not sure how to check any export settings. I'll copy your reply and run it by a friend who is more tech savy than I am. I appreciate your efforts.

6. johnsey

Equipment:
    Thanks and to be honest i sourced this from the web as i do not have it installed, this stopped being included in windows a while back. Looks to me that the version here is Movie Maker 10 from Microsoft but I am not positive, like i said mid-2000s was the last i used it.