Blurry macro filter

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Deborah Holmes, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Deborah Holmes

Deborah Holmes New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Camera SX 540 HS
    I just got my Canon T7 a few days ago. It came with the 18-55 lens. It also had on the lens a filter that said macro. Camera was working fine, but I decided to remove the filter. After removing it, and then deciding to put it back on, it’s blurry. And very blurry! If I look in viewfinder it’s blurry and if I look on screen it’s blurry. I took it back off and the 18-55 lens is fine. It’s not the lens. So why would the macro filter become so blurry when I put it back on?

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Deborah, when the filter is fitted the camera has a limited range that is in focus. Physically move the camera back and forth till you find the distance that is in focus.

Deborah Holmes likes this.
  3. Deborah Holmes

Equipment:
    Canon Camera SX 540 HS
    Hi Craig! I will try again and let you know. The canon camera came with this filter already on the 18-55 lens and I had no issues. Yesterday I decided to take it off. When I put it back on, that’s when the issue started. It has threads on both sides so I thought maybe I put it on wrong. I put it in with the other threaded side and still no go! I’m thinking I must of changed something else???? Any thoughts or good help site to figure it out???

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    You have a macro "Filter" or closeup filter?

So if your lens is focused without it, and you put a magnifying glass essentially in front of the lens, the focus would change, you just need to half press the shutter to re-focus through this magnifying filter.

Essentially your focus will change with the filter and the camera needs to re-focus each time you take it on and off.

5. Deborah Holmes

Equipment:
    Canon Camera SX 540 HS
    So I put the filter on and I click half way and it does try to focus, but it doesn’t. I reset the camera to factory settings, but still won’t focus on that filter. I’m very thankful for your help!!!

Attached Files:

6. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    • How close/far are you to the subject?
    • You surely do not need to reset the camera any more. You simply have a magnifying glass in front of the lens, you may need to get a bit closer or further away before it will grab focus. I would step back a bit get a focus lock and then try moving a lil closer till you cant lock focus anymore.
    • What mm is the lens at on the 18-55? Macro generally works better when you back up a little with a longer lens, i'm not even sure how well a lens with 9in minimum focus distance would be able to focus when zoomed out to 18mm wide. Normal dedicated macros are 100mm but they do come in 50mm and 180mm variety.

7. johnsey

Equipment:
    Also I do'nt use these filters but i guess it is possible that the focus is racked all the way to one end or the other and is not getting any traction on trying to focus so may try two things:
    1. Point it an a far away object and see if it focuses, then work to closer objects.
    2. switch focus to manual and try dialing it 90% of the way in focus.... then go back to auto, and consider what is mentioned above.

Without seeing first hand what its doing I am kinda winging it with troubleshooting your problem. But I'm quite sure its mathematics/physics based issue not the camera being the problem.

8. Deborah Holmes

Equipment:
    Canon Camera SX 540 HS
    I went from 6” to 3 feet and never got a focus. I started at zoom of 18 on the lense and tried focusing. On different settings. The camera makes the sound like it’s trying to focus when I press the shutter 1/2 way down. It never focuses and never lets me take the picture. I then tried 35 on the camera and 55 to no avail. Continues to do the same thing. No focus and picture isn’t taken.

9. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    can you take some images of the filter itself with any numbers or writings on it so we can see which type it is or any old packaging that you might have of from the filter if you had any with the sale.
    personally i haven't use macro filters either but i'll take a look to see if there is anything on the unit

10. Deborah Holmes

Equipment:
    Canon Camera SX 540 HS
    Yes!! I bought the T7 on Amazon. This lense came attached on the 18-55 lens. I took it off. Now it doesn’t focus. I am attaching pictures. It is very thin and threaded on both sides. I tried threading on both sides, but makes no difference. It says macro on the lens in red.

Attached Files:

11. johnsey

Equipment:
    You did get to focus with the macro off right, I'd like to make sure the lens works well in all situations on its own? What did you focus on before taking it off (again i think it is stuck hunting for focus in a range)?

I would take it off and focus on something at a close distance then put it on, you will likely need to get really close because a macro filter will reduce the focus distance. A specialty filter like this will only work for macro shots and not really work well for anything else, you definitely do not want it on the lens all the time.

Camera will not take an image unless you get a focus confirmation by the way. That is expected behavior.

12. Deborah Holmes

Equipment:
    Canon Camera SX 540 HS

13. Deborah Holmes

Equipment:
    Canon Camera SX 540 HS
    Yes I do get an excellent focus on my 18-55 lens! I will try to take an up close picture with it, then put the macro lense on to see if I can focus on the same thing, but closer! Thank you!!!

14. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Deborah, looking at the filter, with the external threat on the end of it, indicates it is part of a filter that comes in two parts. Screwed to together it allows a wider view from the lens you are using. You multiply the focal length of the lens by 0.46 to get the new focal length of the lens/filter combination. For example if you are using a 28mm lens with the filter attached, it converts to a focal length of 12.88 mm. This is now a lens suitable for wide angle landscapes. Using the half you have allows for 10X magnification for macro usage. I have 3 of these filters.

15. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    I have downloaded a complete one for sale off of Ebay 58MM 0.35X Fisheye Wide Angle Macro Lens For Canon EOS SLR DSLR Camera eBay.png