Bogen tripods

Discussion in 'Bags, Tripods, and Accessories' started by JohnReid, Oct 23, 2019.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

A while back I was experiencing eye problems along with other health issues and a good friend who had bought a Rebel dslr wanted a tripod, I sold him my 3258 under the agreement that if I wanted it back in the future I could buy it back at the same price. So, I contacted him the other day only to learn that he donated it to a scrap aluminum drive where it was destroyed. GRRRRR. I just bought a 3001N, much smaller and lighter but heavy enough for a Rebel DSLR. I have to get some set screws for where the head attaches to the center column and there seems to be parts of an O-Ring that goes between the center column and the base, I assume that it is a cushion of sorts. Does anyone know the proper size for the O-Ring? Trying to get back into things as I had more or less quit photography a while back. It is in my blood so I could not stay away for too long.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    https://www.manfrottospares.com/190d-parts.html The center column is one piece that you could replace if it is missing the rubber underneath or the threading on top. I'm not sure if that is what you meant since you mentioned screws plural and its just a metal plate with a single thread that you attach your head to.

3. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

It is just an O-Ring, I will have to buy an assortment I guess to find the right size. The column is fine, but the O-Ring serves as a cushion of the column drops against the base. The head screws onto the top of the column but there are three set screws that keep the head from moving once it has been screwed into place, I think that Manfrotto calls them Grub Screws. The old tripod I had I bought when I was in school, I used it with a Linhoff 4X5 and later on a job I used it with a 5X7 camera, I doubt the 3001 would be too sturdy with those cameras. I see the grub screws listed as a readily available part but no mention is made of the O-Ring. I was given a Sunpak tripod last month as a gift and IMHO it is strong enough for an IPhone but not a DSLR although Sunpak says it is rated for 8 pounds. I think I might use it to hold an external flash. When I bought the original tripod, Bogen used to advertise them as being so strong that Mr Bogen would sit on them.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Right, the 3001 or 190 I believe in their newer numbering scheme is the base of the line made for lighter duty use. It only supports 11lbs and I question is vibration damping ability. I have minimal usage with bogen to be honest, I have been using a Gitzo 410 forever which is heavy but sturdy and can be used with my medium and large format cameras. To be portable I invested in a modest carbon fiber tripod a little over a decade made by Induro.