Bought a new 90D from CCC Warehouse, seeking various bits of advice..... general chit chat....

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Alayna11, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Alayna11

Alayna11 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon, various camera backs all of canon brand.
    Various canon lenses.
    Started on a T70, then T90 before digital was invented.
    Adept with black and white dark room technique and Fuji chrome colour dark room technique and processing.
    I have two old enlargers.
    Hi All

I am new to this forum, it's my first post ! I'm a Canon lover, loyal to Canon's LOL ! Started on a T70 then a T90, many many moons ago, before digital.
    Anyway...
    I have this new 90D - i bought from CCC Warehouse. I have a few questions, if people could help pls?

I'm a wedding and family events photographer mainly. I have an 18-200 and a 55-250 so have close up sorted out OK at this point. I have other lenses and other zooms also.

Looking for a better glass, top notch for weddings - general mid range shooting (somewhat Wide to somewhat close for portraits).

Which one of these would be best as a new purchase to go with my 90D?

24 - 105 Canon L series USM f4. Either the older original lens or the version 2, newer release. How much will get cut off by using on a cropped sensor (ie 24 mm becomes about 35 mm ... etc ).... Is it a good match ? What does F4 end up changing to, with the crop sensor conversion?

or 18 - 135 Canon Lens. For same use. weddings. general. Wanting highly sharp images.

or Sigma (must have) 18 - 35 mm lens. 1.8. (probably doesn't fit the bill, but this is a nice sounding lens.... ). If I saved money buying the 18-135 I could maybe purchase this one as well, although, i'd need to be using 3 cameras then. Seems a bit OTT, for my usual style.

Also - are Band H Photo and CCC Warehouse legit company's ? My new Canon camera back came with the wrong power charger, am waiting to see if they'll swap it for one that works here. Camera seems OK otherwise, but apparently came direct from Japan?

Thanks for anyone who comments ..... :)

Alayna.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    If the goal is to upgrade to better glass I would scratch the 18-135 as that is just another consumer grade crop lens. The sigma 18-35 is one of their Art lenses and would be an interesting choice, but you may find it a bit limiting on the mid range. If you are upgrading I would focus on speed and coverage as a wedding photographer. You will want fast high quality zooms most likely.

The canon 24-70 has been a staple of wedding shooters, its L glass, and fast at 2.8; you couple that with a 70-200 2.8 with IS and you have a light fast lens that can shoot the majority of mid range shots and a fast long lens with IS will still be shot hand held even though it has some weight. You can sell off the consumer lenses and have your bases covered.

3. Alayna11

Alayna11 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon, various camera backs all of canon brand.
    Various canon lenses.
    Started on a T70, then T90 before digital was invented.
    Adept with black and white dark room technique and Fuji chrome colour dark room technique and processing.
    I have two old enlargers.
    Thanks I'll check those out for sure ....