Brand new R5 -Error Code 70

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by roger hunt, May 22, 2022.

1. roger hunt

roger hunt New Member

Equipment:
    Canon R5, Canon 7D MkII, 100-400mm MkII
    I decided to get the R5 as I'm primarily a wildlife photographer, especially birds in flight. I've saved for nearly a year to be able to afford it. The new camera arrived the other day and I spent a few hours familiarising myself with it and configuring the menus. During the first few test shots in the back garden, Error Code 70 happened. This occured at random about 7 times during an hour. The problem didn't arise again during the remaining 20 minutes of test shots.
    Today I was able to get out and test it in the field. I shot mainly action wildlife and birds in flight. Disappointingly Error Code 70 happened, I would say about 15% of the time in a three hour session. On one occasion I had waited for a Copmmon Tern to return with a fish in its beak to its chick. I tracked the bird and pressed the shutter just as it approached and got Error Code 70! Missed the entire sequence of shots.
    I have brand new CF Express and fast SD cards.
    From what I've researched, Error Code 70 is supposedly a relatively rare occurence, with the 'blame' being placed on either insufficently fast cards or poor connections to the lens or even potential motherboard issues. I had already updated the Firmware to 1.15.2.
    I just don't get how a brand new camera (for me) that has been available for two years now can have such problems.
    Any advice would be welcome, but at this point I can't help feel that the product will have to be returned. Unfortunately, the 14 day money back guarantee seems to only apply to new, unused. Well of course I had to use it to discover the problem!

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    which lenses are you using with the R5 that are producing the Error code

3. roger hunt

roger hunt New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EF 24-105mm f4 and the Canon 100-400mm MkII (plus 1.4iii) extender. Both of these should work without any issues at all.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART177668 Assuming you looked up and found this? Its an error related to taking images and a communication error is my understanding. It also seems to be common enough that many people have discussed different things that cause it.
    • Have you tried to confirm the card is not the issue by using 1 card at a time? This would show if one card is causing a problem, a low possibility but the connection on a card could be the issue.
    • I am assuming you also are not using a smaller card like micro being adapted up to SD in size. Its not just speed that could be the problem with memory.
    • Another issue is lens connectivity, some have reported issues with that error when adapting non RF lenses. If you have an adapter that could be the problem. Using an RF mount lens would confirm if that is the issue.
    • if the lens mount/card and battery all are ruled out I think Canon would have to look at the camera, i know they had circuit board issues with the 70d for the same error on a whole batch of serial numbers.

roger hunt likes this.
  5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    i guess one of my questions was answered while I had the half written post of mine sitting waiting between meetings.

6. roger hunt

roger hunt New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I used single card and dual cards.
    The cards used were standard Type B CF Express and a fast SD Card, both brand new
    The Adapter was brand new and came with the camera
    The supplier has agreed immediately to either refund me the money or receive a replacement. I've chosen the latter and we'll see how it goes.
    My best guess is that it it's a problem with the motherboard, as has been reported as regards this issue occuring on the R5. However, it's supposed to be 'ver rare'. Just my luck it should happen to me, and so disappointing.

7. Walter Coleman

Walter Coleman New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R7, Canon RF 100-500, Canon ef 400 f5.6
    I purchased a R5 when they first came out and never had a problem with the camera. It was stolen a few months back so I recently purchased a new R5 from B&H and right out of the box had the error 70 at times in use. I was using a fast CFExpress sandisk card and I tried different things to try to locate the problem. No luck. Sent it back to B&H and got a new camera. This camera works fine, no problems.

8. roger hunt

roger hunt New Member

Equipment:
    Ah glad you got a replacement. I did too, no questions asked and it arrived a few days later. No problems since thankfully.