Can the Canon EOS 300D be a webcam?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Tosc, May 14, 2020.

1. Tosc

Tosc New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 300D
    Many years ago I bought a Canon EOS 300D, and have loved it ever since. Not long ago I moved on to Live Streaming and am not happy with the quality of the Logitech Webcam I bought, as I know my 300D cannot record video. But a viewer mentioned that I may be able to throughput the video, not capture it, and I noticed that the camera does have a video out feature.

Can I buy a cable from Canon that will let me output my image from the 300D that can be captured by my streaming software?

I tried it with the EOS utility, but it didn't seem to have the option to monitor video, but I was connecting to the camera's Digital port, not the Video Out Port.

I know some models of camera will have ports and features listed that are only for higher end camera's, but I remember, when I bought it, that it was supposed to be able to throughput, but I don't know if it was only images, or images and video, but not record video itself.

I'd love to be able to use my Canon EOS 300D as a web cam, I know there are newer models that can do exactly this, they just are out of my daily / monthly budget (yes, even the $150 ones).

Thanks for any insight.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The 300d have a video out for projecting to a tv. I suppose you could connect that cable to a video card that has the same port and find a way to show on screen what is being displayed on the back of the camera. But that would be an image, there would be no live view to project in this old camera. I would not recommend using a new DSLR in this manor either if you can get it to work like that, it is not their designed use to be used for long periods of video. The sensor will overheat after some time.