Cannot get the built-in flash to pop up.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tonytee, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Greetings all,

I have a Canon EOS rebel t5 body and today I was unable to get the pop up flash to pop up. When I press down on the lightning bolt, it gets me into the ISO selection feature. First time this has happened. The shooting Mode is on M, ISO 100. In the presets under Flash Control, Flash Firing is on Enable. Built-In Flash Function Setting is on Shutter Sync., on 1st Curtain, Flash Exposure Compensation is on plus 1 and E-TTL II Meter is on Evaluative.

Many thanks for any helpful suggestions/solutions.

Tony

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I believe this is how setting ISO in video shooting is done. I would probably try popping the battery, and try using the the flash button in a variety of shooting modes, clearly the camera is confused. If it was me I would look at updating/redoing the firmware to see if that resolves the glitch assuming that the camera is stuck doing ISO for the flash button in photo modes.

3. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Thanks very much for your suggestions. I did try to activate the built-in flash in every mode including Creative, and nothing worked. I did contact Canon directly and they informed me that there could be a number of reasons for the failure. Of course they would be happy to effect repairs and I would be responsible for shipping charges and parts and labor. I passed on the offer and will use my Canon Speedlight instead. Thanks again,

Tony

4. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Update: Today I decided to try resetting the camera to original, factory settings. Certain that this will not help, it did in fact become the answer to my prayers. Of course, Canon Tech Support was not aware of the DIY fix. Yeah, Right. Anyway, tried the pop up flash it works now every time. Thanks for reading.

Tony