Canon 100mm EF F/2.8 L Macro

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Amy Walters, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    I just splurged on the macro listed in the title (well it was £444 because I got it from MPB and it was 'excellent' condition, which it is, and I part ex'd some bits and bobs). I love love LOVE this lens. But I want to know how to get the most out of it as an amateur training to be a professional there are many gaps in my knowledge. eg the screen showing feet and metres, also with numbers in yellow what are they? They appear to be aperture values but that cant be right, right?. As I bought it used I do not have a guide book....

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Amy it is a bit hard to tell from your written description so put a photo of that part of the lens

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Amy Walters likes this.
  3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Amy,

I don't don't own this macro lens, or any macro lens to be honest with you. But my guess is that it will be a ratio scale of the image that you are taking of the subject to the image being recorded. So 1:1 will be life size, what the subject's size is in real life will be recorded on the sensor the same size as the subject. 1:2 willl be half the subjects size that gets recorded on the sensor, 1:10 will be a 10th of the subject.

If anyone disagree's, please feel free to correct me.

Gary

Amy Walters likes this.
  4. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    Gary that makes a lot of sense and it was what I was thinking, it goes all the way down to true 1:1 ie life size magnification. I've included a pic anyway. Thanks guys! Being in England Craig and I are 24 hours apart so late replies- sorry!! So the yellow numbers are the magnification as I suspected.......... :)
    image1 (2).jpeg

5. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Amy, you are one step ahead of me. I have to resort to extension tubes, magnification filters and a old ring flash. With this sort of photography you can spend a whole day on safari in your mom's garden, a snack and hot drink are only the distance of her kitchen away.