Canon 200d - Exposure doesn't work in some shuutter speeds

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Haziq, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Haziq

Haziq New Member

Equipment:
    Canon eos 200d
    In manual mode:
    1. If the settings are: 100 ISO, F8 Aperture, and BULB shutter speed, it works and I can take exposures.
    2. If the settings are: 100 ISO, F8 Aperture, and 10 seconds shutter speed: after i press the shutter button the display turns black an I can't control anything, the red light on the lower right corner turns on and after a few seconds it says "BUSY" and then finally displays a photo(of what I was trying to capture) and then goes back to normal. I've also tried holding down the shutter button but same thing happens same thing happens.
    I've tried formatting the SD card, charging the battery, removing and putting the lens back in but it's still not working.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could explain to me why this is happening and how I can fix it

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    So in bulb mode you will take an image for the length of time the shutter button is held down. With your other settings it took an exposure for 10 seconds. What you described above is normal operation nothing is malfunctioning, The reason you cant change anything is because the camera was in the middle of a 10 second exposure. The display/and view through the viewfinder will go black during the act of taking an exposure. At this time the mirror that allows you to see through the lens flips up out of the way and allows the sensor to capture the image through the lens instead.

3. Haziq

Haziq New Member

Equipment:
    Canon eos 200d
    Thank you for the clarification
    But how do I change the exposure time?

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    You should be able to change the shutter speed (time) by turning the main dial between the shutter button and the display on top of the camera.
    You can adjust the aperture of the lens if needed by turning the same dial and holding down the AV+- button on the back.

I think it helps to look at the term exposure in photography as a balance of the shutter speed, the aperture of the lens and the sensitivity of the film (or digital ISO in this case).

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Just one other point. I am not 100% sure about Canon cameras, but could it be noise reduction kicking in if the camera is saying it is busy? My other brand of camera has "nr" displayed while it takes it's second image after taking the first long exposure.

Gary