Canon 200D or Canon 7D

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Graham01974, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Graham01974

Graham01974 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 200D
    Hi , I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have a canon 200D and like using it for sports photography (football). The Iso is ok at 6400 and photos are usable but my images come out soft sometimes. Has anyone here used to 7D ? What's its iso at the high end like and are the images sharp . I'm using a sigma 70-200f2.8 lens on it

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Graham,

Any chance of posting a couple of pictures? I guess that you are at outdoor football, or is it indoor football event. I have a 7D, and what sort of ISO are you looking at? I will grab and post a couple of images at that ISO this weekend if that helps.

Gary

3. Graham01974

Graham01974 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 200D
  4. Graham01974

Graham01974 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 200D
    Iso was fairly low at this one but I think the focus is soft on this one , as the 200d only has 9 focus points I didn't know if a camera with more would help

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    As an after thought. Are the images in focus? I guess that what I am trying find out is that is it grainy images that you have, or is it the AF of your current camera not keeping up with moving subjects. What shutter speed and aperture are you using? What AF mode do you have your camera set to?

Regards

Gary

6. Graham01974

Graham01974 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 200D
    AI servo , try to keep the shutter around 1/1000 and iso 6400 at the highest as 128000 is quite grainy . I will try and find a high iso one

7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    If you can post a couple more images, that would be good. This weekend I will grab a couple of higher ISO images, and post them for you.

Regards

Gary

8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I grabbed my 7D with my 70-200 f4 and when we took the dog for a walk today, here are a few moving image shots. ISO 200, and F4.5ish. Focus mode was one shot. These are not as close to the subject as yours, but this is what I was getting. I did have a couple of miss focused ones, but most of them were like this

IMG_1083.jpg IMG_1092.jpg IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

How do you get on taking non moving subjects with this camera and lens combination?

Gary

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    And a crop of the last one to show the detail a little better.

IMG_1097a.jpg

Gary

10. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Have you tested to verify the lens is tack sharp, it could be that the lens is just a hair front/back focused and could use micro adjustment which i doubt is available for the 200d.
    Assuming the lens is good, it should be I do have a few questions, im not familiar with all the sigmas but is this one stabilized? Shooting a heavier lens handheld this would be helpful. but 1000+ Shutter it shouldn't be needed either.
    The 6400 ISO is probably overkill unless its needed as it will have grain.
    Is the shot wide open, if stopped down you should have enough latitude to not be running into slight mis-focus.
    Did you crop the image heavily? The image is pixelated, if its cropped allot I could see that being problematic, If you shoot RAW there may be some slight softness you can sharpen.
    Servo mode can also introduce softness as it is searching for movement and can get confused. I really never use it but have read complaints in the past. You could try one shot and see if you are running into as many issues. 1/1000+ shutter speed is enough to freeze the motion, so you can track the player and continue to grab focus with half presses and see what you get.

Its hard to really trouble shoot it without some good and bad examples from your camera at the same location, and the original file capture with settings.