Canon 30D Mirror Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by SBT, Apr 26, 2019.

1. SBT

SBT New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 30D

So during my weekly cleaning session, I turned on Sensor Cleaning and did what I normally do and for some reason the mirror parted from the glass slab which makes it impossible to take complete coherant photos. Does anyone have a solution?

UPDATE: As of now I have bought a Canon 50D, however I still want to have the ability to use this camera so I really just want to know what are my options for self repair. I have most of the tools to do such and at this point if I had a professional look at this it would be over the amount it's worth.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I have never seen that happen before. But is it a matter of clipping the mirror back into the mirror frame?

If you can't do that, I would be looking at sending it in for repair.

How did it happen out of curiosity? Did you touch or bump the mirror with something? Did any broken bits of plastic fall out?

Gary

3. SBT

SBT New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 30D
    I was using the sensor cleaning option when I getting rid of all the dust on the inside and the next thing I knew when I went to take a photo, the mirror completely detached from the frame. There was no noise, no plastic fell out or anything. If there is a way to clip the mirror back into the frame, I'd be delighted to know how. Canon literally won't repair it because it came out in March 2006

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Right, other snapping in place not much you can do. But honestly you could tear this down to peices to try playing with it becuase you can buy a replacement off of ebay for 40-100 bucks from what it looks like. (70 is probably the going rate and you could upgrade to something newer for not much more.
    That said are you really cleaning this thing every week? That has probably in some way lead to the part failing. I have probably cleaned my 20d 5 times in its life, and it was probably once a year when i was more actively using it. I have never cleaned my 5dM2 in the last 9 years.

rayallen likes this.
  5. ChipB

ChipB Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 80D, 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-85 USM, 70-300 NANO, 100 2.8 macro
    Hard to tell from the video what's happened, but...it looks like the 'little' mirror has fallen out of it's frame and is basically sitting on top of the sensor. Take a real close look and see if the framework for the 'little mirror actually rises up and fits into the backside of the main mirror. If so, then you *might* be able to grab the 'little' mirror with some tweezers, pull it out and slide it back into it's frame. The key is whether or not the 'little' mirror framework rises up and fits into the main mirror because it seems to be springloaded - if it doesn't do that, then I'd say the camera is toast. And, repairing a 30D simply isn't cost effective. Good luck!

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    How often do you change your lenses in a week?

Gary

7. SBT

SBT New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 30D
    Before I broke it, more than daily.