Canon 350d manual mode not working

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Bali014, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Bali014

Bali014 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 350d
    Hello guys!

Recently I started using my fathers old Canon 350D camera, and he told me that don't even bother trying Manual mode because it doesn't work. He was kind enough to lend it to me, if I could fix it for him that would be awesome.

The problem is, if I switch the dial to Manual, it just stays in Av, and if I try it from the other way, it switches to Av mode. It just doesn't register that it's turned into M mode.

I googled for around 3 hours, and didn't find this exact problem anywhere.

Have any of you ever encountered something similar?

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    Mpb.com in uk have a couple of well used ones for £26 in functioning order, they just cosmetically rough, if it was a camera i wanted to fix and couldn't get the parts new or from a good second hand parts reseller i'd be buying one of those for £26 and watching a tear down vid on youtube, one of the proper ones there are a couple of spoof ones for video effect, kai did one spoof

if you not confident then you could end up buggering up the old mans camera worse

reason i suggested it because its exactly what i did with my M50, i had already bought one with a blow main board for spares for the grip covers for later on when mine get bad, turns out i needed it a few months ago for the D-pad as mine started to miss a few times when i pressed it, i had already watched a teardown vid and pulled the spare one apart a few times before just to see what was inside it, so yeah,
    £26, doesn't matter if you mess that one up, if you do don't tough the other one lol

it could be that the switch is just the culprit

one thing to be wary of is the capacitor, i just took the gamble on mine and went for it and was fine but there are warnings on those for a reason, research that and make your own mind up or ask others

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Bali, im not sure where your from, but the camera is 17 years old and it is likely an electrical issue inside. As Caladina mentioned a parts camera can be picked up cheap if your so inclined to open it up and try to fix yourself. Otherwise you can upgrade to something half its age for a very modest investment if you want to do that.... frankly I couldn't live in AV only it would drive me nuts.

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome, Bali, I have two 350Ds which I use in my photography class. Fortunately both of them work fine.
    Now my I suggest that if you have no experience stripping down and repairing these cameras, leave it alone as being your father's camera, may not be to pleased about it.
    These are lovely little cameras and can be purchased cheaply form Ebay.

5. Bali014

Bali014 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 350d
    Thank you all for the suggestions.
    I think I'll invest in a newer model when I think I'm ready for manual photography :)