Canon 500D Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Yunus, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 500D
    Greetings everyone. I have a Canon 500D camera. I want to use it as a webcam. I connected the connections to the computer with the capture card. I reflect instantly. However, the machine turns itself off after 30 or 40 minutes. I press the shutter button halfway and the image comes back. I see that the battery is half charged. Please support me as to what the reason is.

2. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

All cameras have an auto off time to save the battery from going flat if you forget to turn it off.
    It will be somewhere in your settings. Read the manual to find out where.

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 500D
    You are right. But I'm having trouble this way even though I disabled the power saving mode and screen off time.

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    welcome to the forum, Yunus. Ray seems to have helped you out quite nicely, there is always some-one here willing to help, just ask.

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 500D
    Thanks Craig. Yes Ray is trying to help. However, I had already disabled the energy saving mode and screen off time that he had mentioned. I'm having this issue even though it's disabled. My problem persists.

6. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Try Johnsey as he has show a great deal of knowledge in this area of photography.

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I don't think your going to find much documented for this use case because it was not the normal intended use of the device.
    I think they built in an auto shut off similarly to the limitations on recording times as well to prevent overheating and damage. CMOS sensors will run hotter than CCD, and these still camera bodies are made tightly compact so they run the risk of over heating easier.

rayallen likes this.
  8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Is the problem that you are having is that your camera makes it to 29 minutes and 59 seconds, and then stops?

Gary

9. Ellinor William

Ellinor William New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90DSLR
    A malfunction may occur particularly if the machine automatically shuts down while using. Set [Auto Shutdown Time] to '0' when using. Also, make sure the battery is charged properly.