Canon 5dMiv Freezing and buttons on back of camera not working

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Claudia W, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Claudia W

Claudia W New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5dmiv
    Canon 5dmiii
    HELP! So my 3 month old Canon 5d Mark IV is acting crazy. It’s freezing up. The first picture is fine and then every picture after the BBF won’t focus, and all the buttons on the back including the preview button won’t work. I’ve changed the battery, SD card and lens and it’s all the same! I turn the camera on and off and it’s the same issue- first picture is fine and then it freezes again. Thoughts?

2. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

It has to be under warranty. Take it back.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome,

3 months old and it is not behaving. Take it back and get a replacement.

Just out of curiosity, how long has been doing this? I am guessing that it is not since you owned the camera.

Gary

4. Claudia W

Claudia W New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5dmiv
    Canon 5dmiii
    It started while shooting a wedding last Saturday... so just over a week now. I cannot figure it out.

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    So long as the camera has not been dropped etc. I would do a factory reset of the camera, and make sure that the firmware is up to date. But even so, it should not be freezing like that.

Gary

6. Claudia W

Claudia W New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5dmiv
    Canon 5dmiii
    I have not dropped it. I have already done a factory reset and the firmware is up to date. I have a video clip showing what it is doing and with the help of google i figured out that when it is freezing the asterick is flashing which then alerted me that the asterisk is for the AEB lock. So that being said I just tried it again and yes this is what it is... so when i have exposure bracketing on at all- which i have never changed before so still not convinced that this is what is- it is freezing... so now i am trying to figure out why it is freezing when it is bracketing.

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Not sure the return policy on where you purchased, so at 90 days it may be hard to simply swap it. I would do that if I could. There is some sort of faulty circuitry and that would be a expensive repair out of warranty. Luckily your well under since purchase so call canon right away and get it shipped in and repaired under warranty if you can't return it.