canon 60d no card in camera

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by jake, Apr 9, 2019.

1. jake

jake New Member

Equipment:
    canon 60d
    sigma 1.8 18-35
    sigma 1.4 85mm
    Hello, I have a 60d with outdated software 1.1.0 . Today, my camera produced the "no card in camera" message despite there being a functioning card inside. The card reader seems clear of obstruction and dust. I suspect it's the firmware. However, because the camera wont read the card, i cannot update. Does anyone know what may be causing the error or have advice? Thank you

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Have you tried a smaller capacity card, or at least another card in your camera? Before you try to update any firmware, I would make sure you having a good working card and all is ok with the card and the camera. Having problems when you do a firmware update could be painful.
    Also, have a fully charged battery before you flash the firmware.

Gary

3. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    Make sure you are using a full sized SD card and not a micro SD with an adaptor.

4. jake

jake New Member

Equipment:
    canon 60d
    sigma 1.8 18-35
    sigma 1.4 85mm
    Thanks for the reply! I was using my 64 gb Sandisk which works in my computer and was working just fine in the camera. I had swapped it with an 8 gb and it still read no card in camera.

5. jake

jake New Member

Equipment:
    canon 60d
    sigma 1.8 18-35
    sigma 1.4 85mm
    Thank you ray, it is a full sized!

6. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    I assume you have tried to format the card in the camera, if this doesn't work then the last thing to try is a factory reset.
    Turn off Camera & remove battery.
    Turn camera back on and hold shutter button down for 30 seconds.
    Turn camera off and refit battery.
    Turn camera on, if it asks you to set date and time then it has been reset.
    If not repeat the process but hold the shutter button down for a longer time.
    If it still doesn't work just remove the battery and leave the camera without it, but this could take anything between 1 & 7 days.
    If a factory reset doesn't cure your card problem then you most likely have a fault with the camera that will require repair.

7. jake

jake New Member

Equipment:
    canon 60d
    sigma 1.8 18-35
    sigma 1.4 85mm
    thank you. i tried formatiing it and just tried your method without success. i will try again and then leave the battery out for a few days before considering sending it in. thank you!

8. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    If your issue is exhibited on multiple cards I would go head and contact canon its clearly an issue with the camera. Seems that there were others online with 60d that stopped reading cards, so it probably was common to a specific set of parts in a serial number range.