Canon 6D mark 2 USB problem

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Asaf, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Asaf

Asaf New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6d mark 2
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8 is II USM
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM
    So, yesterday I apparently made a small mistake related to the connection of the camera to the computer.
    I wanted to check the number of clicks that I had so far, a Canon 6D mark 2. After quite a few searches of sites and experiments. I came to this site: http://www.freeshuttercount.com/
    I downloaded it, followed the instructions, and unfortunately, I still could not access the camera's clicks. The main problem is that after using the software, my camera does not let me access its internal folders. I tried to restore settings in the software to see maybe there will be a change but nothing ... the software has option change USB drivers, after several attempts to restore my moves, I could not. The computer plays a connection sound as soon as I connect the camera, but it does not show me the option to open the folder. Connecting the card separately with the card reader works great without a problem, connecting to another computer also works great without a problem. It seems that the software has defined something inside the camera specifically in the connection of my computer or specific USB setting that prevents it from accessing the folders. On other computers everything is normal, I know that I can do a format for my computer and everything will go back to normal, but because the amount of content on my computer I prefer to try to find a solution through forums.
    I would like to hear if someone encountered a similar problem with this software on a specific computer?

I would be happy to get help, have a lovely day!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    It is highly unlikely that the software in camera has the ability to read your usb connection and remember it just to lock out the folder structure. I would imagine that the software has overwritten a driver that the camera software uses so that it can change how the computer sees the camera you attach. Hence the restore/change drivers option which is apparently not working.

1. Uninstall you shutter count software, that should remove everything it changed. After a restart see if it works properly,
    2 I would re-install the canon drivers/software and see if that helps, that should re-replace the drivers. If that doesn't fix after restart...
    3. You can remove all canon drivers /software in addition to you shutter count stuff. Restart and install clean.
    I don't think a new operating install is necessary

3. Asaf

Asaf New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6d mark 2
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    I tried everything you write down above, and nothing...

4. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

If you want to know the current shutter count on your camera, download the last image to your computer in JPG format and enter this in your browser https://www.camerashuttercount.com/ and upload that image. That method works fine for my EOS-1Ds.

5. Asaf

Asaf New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6d mark 2
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    I tried this website with JPG and nothing.
    Now I with this main problem... perhaps I need to format my pc and that's it....

6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I guess I am wondering why the need to browse the card while in the camera ? ( i wouldn't worry about spending time reformatting the computer) If you want to look at them and copy the preferred ones I would use the Card reader option anyway it is clean and fast and doesn't risk corrupting data while plugged into camera. The camera is designed to use the EOS utility when connected for management of downloaded "new" images and for tethered shooting. These are the two preferred methods for image handling.

7. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

No, don't format your computer. The problem is not your computer. That website works well therefore the problem is how you are processing your JPG files. As johnsey has said, you should remove the card from the camera and use a card reader (either external or built into your PC) to download the files into a folder. Are you shooting RAW, RAW + JPG or just JPG?
    Are you processing the JPG files? With what program? The reason I ask that is because some programs can strip off the EXIF data and thus the shuttercount program then does not have any data to read.
    If you could create an album in the PHOTOS section and upload a JPG I can then process it through the shuttercount program for you.

8. ChipB

ChipB Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 80D, 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-85 USM, 70-300 NANO, 100 2.8 macro
    Asaf, since you can access the photos on your memory card when you insert it directly in you computer, then the computer and card appear to be ok. So, the problem then seems to be with your camera - perhaps the SW program did "something" to the camera's firmware. I'd suggest downloading the current firmware version from Canon's website and install it in your camera.