Canon 6D Mark ii - NO electronic level with external monitor

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by CanonCameraShooter, Oct 18, 2019.

1. CanonCameraShooter

CanonCameraShooter New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6D Mark ii
    Hi everyone,
    Strange problem. I connected a brand new LCD monitor to my Canon 6D Mark ii, and everything works very well, except for one thing that's super important to me. The electronic level refuses to display on the external monitor. I tried hooking it up with 2 different HDMI cables ( generic cables from Amazon )

Every single icon is displayed 100% correctly on the external monitor, but the level. Does anyone know of a solution ? ( I've checked firmware and I'm running the latest one ) I think I'm out of luck. Not sure why out of all things the level would not display.

Thanks for any help.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    For what its worth I doubt its a cable issue, is this something you could do in the past? I don't have the option to turn on a level in camera, but I imagine this was for hand holding video. So I can see what an option that is toggled on top of the main display my not output, as well as why if your shooting on a tripod with a lcd, they may not have it out put either since the tripod should have levels as well. Just tossing out some ideas here why it may not be a malfunction of equipment.

3. CanonCameraShooter

CanonCameraShooter New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6D Mark ii
    Hello, and thanks for the reply. I am a new member so could not edit / update my post the other day after I posted, but I wanted to add some info - after posting I pressed the "Q" button which is a quick menu on Canon cameras, and this brought up a full screen digital level. This shows up on the large LCD screen on the back, - but - it also shows up on the external LCD monitor - so my problem is basically solved. I had never used an external LCD monitor before, so this is the first it has happened to me, and the first I had known of it. I also agree with you that it's not the cable. All info except the LCD digital level show up in the smaller view, so that is strange, but - I found a workaround.
    ----> I press the Q button which brings up the very large full screen level - it shows up on the 5" external monitor. I then get that leveled, and then press LIVE View and I can then take the photo. - To be 100% clear for anyone reading this months from now, - I first compose my photo the way I want it with LIVE View ON.... then I get out of live view, press Q to bring up the electronic level, level, then go back to live view... it's an extra step but does fix the problem. IF you do have a Canon DSLR, and an external monitor, you should try what I'm describing to see if you get the same problem. Newer cameras may not have this problem though. That's it for now, thanks for replying.