Canon 6D1 issue

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Ilesmark, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Ilesmark

Ilesmark New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6D1, 24-105 L series
    Hi all

My first thread on this forum. I've had my 6d1 since c.2013/14. It uses a canon 24-105 L series.

Yesterday I noticed some of the photos I'd taken were not showing when I went to look at them, it said 'unable to display'. So I changed the SD card. Then it started flashing up error messages, so I switched it off and on a few times and it would work again for a couple of shots before again flashing up the error message. It also seemed to take a long tine saving the images. Then the screen went haywire with loads of bright flashing lines and it carried on doing that even when I switched it off and only stopped when I took out the battery. I put the battery back in and switched it on and that seemed to clear it, then a few minutes later it did this again all by itself. Since then, it has been completely unresponsive to any changes of battery or attempts to switch it on or to do anything at all with it.

Any ideas what might have happened? I haven't dropped it or anything like that.

Mark

2. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Unfortunately they did not give you a second slot for a CF (or 2nd SD) to see if the card reader port is going bad or dirty. I worry that the screen was glitching out which seems like the camera hardware failing. I would try installing the most recent firmware for the camera/or re-installing and see if it performs any better. Give your cards a good few formats in camera for good measure. If you just got a new card to test after the issue appeared you can rule out the card as the root of the problem.
    You probably will end up calling canon, the big question is cost of repair if the above ideas didn't resolve your issues and how much of current value you are willing to put back into it.

4. Ilesmark

Ilesmark New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6D1, 24-105 L series
  5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    You want this link... that page does not provide a good link to you camera on canons website. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...cameras/dslr/eos-6d?subtab=downloads-firmware

There will be a firmware download option on the page, and you can download a copy for windows or osx depending on what computer you use. Charge up the battery before doing this. Also there are two methods to install included with your download one is by placing the firmware on card, and running the update on the camera from card. The other option is to use the EOS utility and camera via USB to upgrade the firmware, the latter is a better option given the card reader in camera may be faulty. You do not want the upgrade to freeze mid install.