canon 77D moire type issue

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Michael Whitney, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Michael Whitney

Michael Whitney New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 77D
    Hi,
    I did a video of me playing piano with my Canon 77d and when I reviewed the footage noticed some annoying moire type pattern on the highlights of the piano keys. It only happens in the in focus area and using a wider aperture reduced the effect.

Any ideas on what's causing it and if there's a way to sort it or is it just a limitation fo DSLR video?

upload_2019-2-11_16-5-14.png

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well the 77d does have a AA filter which should reduce moire, that said some cameras are better than others for handling this. You could try to diffuse the highlight so its not as strong. Uniform lighting should help.
    is interesting show of the difference between a 70D and 80D.

3. Michael Whitney

Michael Whitney New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 77D
    Wouldn't it still have a sharp highlight with a softer light just with the shape of the keys having that bevel on them? But does seem the only thing that might help. Would love something like C300 mk2 for video but then I don't do a whole lot of it so can't really justify the price and while the Sony A7s is really good for video I don't think it's AF is as good as canon's even though would mainly use manual focus. Guess it's just a case of working around the limitations of a DLSR when it comes to video.