Canon digital camera driver

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by bendzoboy, Sep 18, 2019.

1. bendzoboy

bendzoboy New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 80D
    Hello

I have connected my canon EOS 80D with my pc over cable. On my pc I have win 7 64 bit. My camera is not recognized and in device manager I have in yelow CANON DIGITAL CAMERA. I saw on canon web site that driver is not needed. It is first time that I connect my camera on this pc. On other pc, where is win 10, works with no problem.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well technically you do not need a driver, you could use a card reader to transfer files. If you want to communicate with the camera, you should be using the EOS utility which will install needed drivers, this allows for the utility to transfer direct from camera, upgrade firmware on camera and do shooting tethered to camera.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...ss-cameras/dslr/eos-80d?tab=drivers_downloads

3. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    On my T6, if I have the wireless/NFC enabled, the USB is disabled. It maybe the same with the 80D. Check to make sure it is off, and see if that corrects the issue for you.

4. bendzoboy

bendzoboy New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 80D
    I have EOS utility instaled on that pc and that works but transfer over wifi is slow. Card reader is risky because sometime it can demage picture.

I disabled wifi on camera but samething.

5. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    I should have added after disabling WIFI power the camera off then back on. I would also check to make sure your USB cable is good as well.

6. bendzoboy

bendzoboy New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 80D
    I just now saw that my windows is "Windows embedded standard 64 bit" not win 7 like I as I thought because of interface. Maybe this is problem?

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    So you can use the EOS Utility to transfer via USB? I expect it will not be very fast, probably usb 2.0 speeds.
    How often have you damaged a photo with a card reader? I have a $10 CF reader i bought 12 years ago and have never had an issue using it, I have always done a copy to computer, it never hurt the source files, and i never had any issue with the ones I copied over either. I can't imagine this is really that high risk, but it i infinitely faster than using the EOS transfer utility.

8. bendzoboy

bendzoboy New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 80D
    I used EOS Utility for wireless transfer not usb wired.
    It happened once with notebook cardreader, it was some important dental photography with before and after pictures.