Canon Eos 1200D won't focus

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Killtrox, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Killtrox

Killtrox New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1200D, EF-S 60mm, EFS 18-55mm
    Hi

I have been using a Canon EOS 1200d with a Canon Macro Lens EFS 60mm for the past 4 years to take pictures of watches in a lightbox with 0 issues. This last week I changed the aperture settings from f2.8 to f32 and all of a sudden the camera wont focus when looking through viewfinder it just seems to go back and forth through its focus range yet when I switch to the LCD screen the camera focuses perfectly as it always had. I tried changing the settings back which didn't work, I also reset the camera and updated the firmware which worked for about 3-5 pictures then went back to the same issue. I tried some troubleshooting suggestions which were turning the camera off setting the lens to manual and sweeping through the full focus range then turn the camera back on and switch it to the P mode then lens back to automatic which again worked for about two or three photos and then back to the same issue. I tried swapping over to a Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens and that works perfectly so I'm assuming its an issue with the lens itself and not the camera ??

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well I would agree that it is probably lens related and not an issue with the camera if you are not experiencing the issue with your other lens. However I am not 100% clear on the testing. Is the macro lens being tested at long and close shots? Are you testing in both lower and brighter lighting situations. A macro uses a floating optical system which allows it to change the internal geometry and provide the sharp images at short distances. Changing focusing distances can sometimes exhibit this focus racking you described, low light, low contrast can also cause racking focus, many macros have a limiter switch that keeps the lens looking in a range for macro shots to aid in stopping the camera from hunting for focus. So what I guess I am getting at is part of the issue is the nature of how a macro lens is designed, and secondly your lens may be starting to act up. Comparing it to your non-macro is only good for saying that the camera is not having any obvious focusing issue.

Honestly I would start pre-focusing manually then switch to auto to grab focus/confirmation or just focus manually for your macro shots in a studio setting. That should help a bit.