Canon EOS 250D won't turn on.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by IanRK, Jul 17, 2020.

1. IanRK

IanRK New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 250D
    I updated the Canon EOS utility. Connected my EOS 250D via the USB lead to my computer and proceeded to register my camera lens (I have two). Registered the first lens with no problem as it was showing on a list of three. Could not make out my second lens on the list, so removed original lens from camera, inserted the other (EFS 555 - 250 zoom lens) and got an error message on screen, upon looking at the camera I realised it had not powered back on after the change of lens. I have tried everything to get power back but to no avail. The battery was charged just prior to doing the registering so I know that is okay, anyway I charged it again just in case, but still no power, apart from a red light flashing once, this does not happen every time I have tried to restart the camera. Have removed the original lens and put the new zoom lens (which has always worked okay) back on still nothing. Have changed the storage card, again nothing. Have selected P on the scene dial, removed card and battery and pressed the shutter for ten seconds (as suggested by someone else with a similar problem on a canon EOS camera) still nothing. Have taken a pen tip to the little lever next to the card slot and moved that across, again nothing. I checked the pins that the battery touches when inserted, they all look okay and not bent over. I am at my wits end now, the camera was a 70th birthday present last year in June, is in pristine condition and never been banged or dropped, so I am loath to have to send it away for a no doubt very expensive repair, as I do not use it that often. Any help would very much be appreciated thanks. Further to my last, I discovered that by removing the lens and turning on the camera, intermittently the screen comes on, but it is frozen and you can't do anything with it, I put the lens back on while in this state and nothing happens, unable to do anything or take pictures. Turned camera off removed lens, turned on camera screen came on in frozen state. Turned camera off, turned back on and screen was blank. So still stumped as to what the problem is, unless it is possible that I removed the lens inadvertently while the camera was on, and it shorted it out, if this is possible, I can't think of anything else.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Ian, sorry no help with your camera issue but may I suggest you address your problem to Jonnsey as he is our resident expert in the technical aspects on the forum, he may be of some assistance.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Not sure I can add much here, I cant imagine shorting it out that easy but having it connected to the computer and powered up and removing the lens was not something I would have done. If it was me i would let it sit for few days no lens no battery. I assume the battery acted like it charged normally, and buy this it didn't charge super fast where it could be dead but showing green. I have seen dead battery's show that they charge in 10 min or so because they are topping off almost zero life, not canon batteries but rechargeable in general.
    Maybe clean the lens contacts for good measure with a cloth. You probably need to call canon, if the board shorted out I would weigh your options repair vs getting a new body, the rebels would probably not be much more than a repair.

4. IanRK

IanRK New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 250D
    Well thanks for looking anyway, not sure I had the power on when I switched lens while connected to the PC, the report I read was that the usb lead does not power the camera anyway, whether that makes any difference or not I don't know. I did leave everything off the camera overnight, but will do it again and leave it over the week-end and see if that cures it.