Canon EOS 50E and Canon Speedlight EX 430 Flash

Discussion in 'Canon Film SLRs' started by Thumbnail, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

I don't I use flash with my film cameras but a recent opportunity arose where one would have been very useful. However, the only flash I have is a Speedlight EX430 left over from my 2010'ish digital days and I wondered if anyone could tell me if the 50E and the EX430 can be used together and what, if any, limitations there are? I've tried contacting Canon but so far haven't received a reply. Thanks for taking the trouble to read my post.

2. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

I have a 430EX II which works just fine on my EOS-1Ds and my EOS 20D and I see no reason why it would not work on an EOS 50E.
    You can download the manual from here: https://th.canon/en/support/0300413102

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  3. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

Many thanks Ray. Although I scanned my printed version of the manual several times I missed the line that tells me it is compatible with the EOS 50E flash metering system (E-TTL) but it jumped off the screen at me when I opened the downloaded manual, how weird is that. :rolleyes:

rayallen likes this.
  4. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

That's great. Enjoy using your E-TTL flash on your E-TTL compatible camera. It is quite a competent flash with good feature set.

5. 3dreal

3dreal New Member

Equipment:
    from EOS 50E to 1N
    NB: There is also a special Dandelion-chip for manual lenses with E-TTL. i have the one for Contax/Yashica- EOS. Leitax is using it also. Fantastically working.
    Will open a new thread with my workaround. Right reliable adapter also very important.
    Regarding his 430EX(whats different to version II?): Would be nice to know if its also working properly with all exposure times til 1/4000.