Canon EOS m200 as livestream cam overheating issue and Using non brand dummy batteries questions

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by nightangel, Dec 18, 2020.

1. nightangel

nightangel New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS m200
    Got my camera recently to use as a webcam for streaming

I wanted to avoid having to buy a capture card for a while due to them being overpriced due to covid

It did connect as a webcam, but I’m wondering if this makes it do extra processing internally causing a heating issue

I looked online for some possible solutions

I since moved flat screen position up and opened the flash to help with heating dispation, recharging my battery before I can test that

I don’t do a lot of movement on camera so I could reduces the frames per sec down to 40 or 30
    If that would help with heat

Does updating the firmware on the camera help at all with the overheating issue ?

Secondly I’ll need to use a dummy battery

only to come across a post saying that Canon discontinued their dummy battery kit for the M200.

Looking around its going to hard to get an official power unit and battery before mid January as a lot of the tech stores have closed (I’m in Australia) an the price would be $140 for the power unit and the battery

Checking on ebay I could get one of the non brand names ones for around $25 and get it ordered now instead waiting. The camera is second hand so I’m not under the canon warrenty but I wanted to check about it causing any issue with the camera including overheating

2. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    I've just bought a dummy battery and power cable for my M100 and M50 (same battery) from amazon for like £15. I I have to use my 25W Samsung phone charger to power the camera though as an 18W fast charger does not put out enough juice. I do get a notification on my screen saying that my M100 will stop recording if it gets too hot though.

Updating the firmware is easy and always a good idea as there's usually some sort of a fix included whether it be a security patch for Wi-Fi connectivity or something else.

I'm not aware of any cameras other than the R5 and R6 having over heating issues which have been firmware related. What lens are you using? Is it a native EF-M mount or an adapted EF/EF-S lens? If it's a larger EF/EF-S lens with large glass or older style motor, there's always the possibility that the camera is drawing a lot of power to make it function.

Personally I always use Genuine canon batteries, because it has been said that using non genuine batteries can void your warranty. But if your camera is out of warranty I guess that doesn't matter. There's also always guess work involved with third party batteries which claim to be bigger than the genuine original, are they actually or is it just a ploy to get you to buy their product knowing it will fail faster than the more expensive original. There are only a few trusted brands that I see mentioned regularly on other forums/FB groups.

Let us know how you get on after you've recharged your batteries.

G.