Canon EOS M200 not focusing on night sky

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Arnab, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS M200, Canon EF-M 15-45mm, Canon EF-S 55-250mm (with a converter)
    ***If this should go to different thread please redirect me.

I was trying to take some pictures of night sky and Night View of a faraway town in the lap of mountain. Something like below picture (not my best work) (Canon EOS M200 with Canon EF-M 15-45mm)
    IMG_6854.JPG

I was able to focus on the town and eventually some pictures like above could be taken. However there are lots of light pollution,and I wanted to take only Night Sky with long exposure.
    That time I wasn't able to click the picture because Auto Focus wasn't picking up infinite. I tried to change it to manual focus, but I wasn't able to click even in that case. This is probably a lack of knowledge issue as well.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Settings was as below:
    30sec, F3.5, ISO Auto, 15 mm

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Usually for manual focus you need one of two things, a focus point locking focus on something, or to set in camera a manual focus setting to override the first thing i mentioned. This sometimes is referred to as enabling shutter with lens off as far as the custom setting, basically saying shutter can be fired without a focus lock.
    With either setting you will have to manually dial in focus on a dark sky.

Arnab likes this.
  3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    try turning the iso up way more than you need to see the stars to focus on them then back off the iso
    try half a second shutter speed, widest (brightest) you can go with the aperture then 800 iso to start off with for the pic,
    if you on a budget you might want to take a look at a takumar 55mm 1.8 and an eos m to m42 adapter, both are around £30 each

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Arnab likes this.
  4. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks Johnsey, Never had the issue with viewfinders. Kind of new to mirrorless. So im probably missing the right settings.

5. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks for the tip,Will try that asap. Also thanks for the recommendation,ill certainly look it up

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

I don't have this camera.

But are you able to use autofocus on a brighter star in the night sky? Or I would be looking at switching to manual focus, and seeing if you have the option of the 5x and 10x zoom on the rear lcd to focus in a star.

Gary

7. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    Rear LCD zoom is probably negative. Atleast I couldnt do/find it.
    Autofocus needs a little too bright star. I can doa manual focus to infinite with EF-S ,maybe im missing something in EF-M.ill keep looking.

8. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    I wanted to understand the reason, you recommended takumar 55mm 1.8, because I want to choose any alternative for this.
    Right now this is unavailable in nearby physical stores or amazon. Maybe you can recommended an alternative in the same line?

9. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    its the low ƒ number thats the important bit and usually a wide lens, though some of the longer takumars like the 135 and 200 do perform well with astro, you will have a tighter field of veiw though
    i don't tend to do much astro stuff as i'm right in the middle of london and the light conditions are not the best
    there are a couple of new zealanders on the forum that have much better skies they might chip in with some good advice too

Arnab likes this.
  10. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    This lens was recommended as it is a fast lens (a lower f number, the lower the number the faster it is). A faster lens lets in more light. A bonus when you are shooting with very little light to play with. This lens is an older manual focus lens that has not been made for many years now. But there are modern alternatives. It is easy for me to sit here and spend your money, but please consider the lenses that you are looking at carefully before you spend any money. Some lenses that work fantastically well for daytime shooting, struggle with lens faults that will show stars on the edge of the frame as a bird shape (coma), or funky colours. So it can be disappointing to try hard, and not get the results that you are aiming to get.

You heard of this guy before?

Robot vs Nerd: Deep Space Shoot-Out - YouTube

Gary