Canon EOS1-Ds

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by rayallen, May 9, 2017.

1. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

I recently was given an EOS1-Ds, Canon's first full frame DSLR.
    I downloaded the manual and set the camera up the way I wanted it to be. I set it to shoot RAW+JPG.
    When I transferred the images to my computer they were JPGs and 10-bit TIFs.
    Are these TIF files what the 1-Ds creates as RAW files. I can't find much about this on the net or in the manual.

2. Bob L

Bob L New Member Site Supporter

Hi Ray,

They're actually not TIFF files but Canon used the extension .TIF for their first offering. You can rename the files as .CRW and then most software will understand what it's being presented with.

Bob

3. rayallen

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for your reply. That does explain it but it was not what I was expecting to hear. The value of forums is not to be underestimated.

I have 40+ years of Pentax experience behind me but I am still at the bottom of the learning curve with Canon-specific stuff. So, you can expect more questions. Thanks again.

4. Bob L

You're welcome, Ray, and I apear to be the inverse of yourself. All my experience (and most of my equipment) is Canon based but I also have a P645Z and lenses to play with.

Bob

5. rayallen

Ooooh, a P645Z! Now I am jealous. MF digital cameras are a bit outside my budget. My only MF camera is an old Yashica 635 which I no longer use since moving into the world of digital.

6. rayallen

Hi again Bob,

I renamed the .TIF files to .CRW (in another folder) and they processed just fine in PSCC. But I have found that the renaming is not necessary as the original .TIF files are recognised by PSCC as RAW files and can be processed like any other RAW file i.e. you can change WB.
    Makes it easier if I don't have to rename.

7. Bob L

I already had some P67 and P645 lenses that I was using on a tilt-shift adapter with my Canon bodies so I was primed as it were....although I since added a few of the more modern optics.
    That wasn't the case in the early days but it appears that the software has caught up.....glad there's a simple solution.

Bob

rayallen likes this.
  8. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I'm also a bit jealous. I actually own a 645n and a 67II and lenses for both so getting a Z or a D wouldn't be a stretch, but being invested a fair bit in the Canon digital world I really cant justify the cost.

9. Bob L

Pre-purchase justification was often fraught with danger so I now practise post-purchase justification. I'll freely admit that I often fail but it hasn't yet brought a custodial sentence.

rayallen likes this.
  10. Vasile Guta-Ciucur

Vasile Guta-Ciucur Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 100D
    Canon Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 III
    A Canon EOS 5DsR would do good...

11. Bob L

I have one of those too. It's far more portable than the 645Z (with lenses) but the files aren't of the same quality.

Bob

Vasile Guta-Ciucur likes this.
  12. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    True true, I guess I haven't really jumped since you can print pretty large with 21Mp and investing in glass has been more fun. That, and I added that 645n and few lenses the last few years. But yeah I probably will be upgrading in the next year or two when I find the right deal, probably leaning towards the Mk4 to be honest.