Canon Extender question.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by John P. Trier, Jan 1, 2021.

1. John P. Trier

John P. Trier New Member

Equipment:
    Canon D60 body with lens EF 100-400
    I'd classify myself as a novice with barely basic knowledge of the equipment I own. I would like to pursue an extender that will communicate and auto focus with my camera body. Canon D60. The lens I have is an EF 100-400. I've noticed that some extenders will communicate and the autofocus will still work. I am open to the best option for this lens but really don't have the knowledge to proceed. Thanks to anyone who can advise me.

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about that.

When you are refering to an extender, I am assuming that you are talking about teleconverters.

I think that the issue that you are going to come up against is that the body you are using will not autofocus. Or if it does, it will be really slow. Most bodies need at least f5.6 to autofocus. If you add a 1.4x converter, at 400mm and f5.6, the aperture you will get is f8. Put on the 2x converter, and you are working with f11. If the camera will even work, I don't know.

What are you looking at photographing where you think an extender will help you out?

Gary

3. John P. Trier

John P. Trier New Member

Equipment:
    Canon D60 body with lens EF 100-400

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Thank you Gary, I think I see the writing on the wall. Mostly tripod nature photography, eagles, cows, old barns, Iowa landscapes and such. (I’ve given up trying to shoot a focused picture of the moon). I’m betting my best bet is a better all in one lens, for a lot more money? 600mm?

If you need a longer lens, a teleconverter will work better with a faster lens. But there are non Canon options out there as well that go up to 600mm. Both Tamron and Sigma offer longer lens along the lines of 150-600mm. I don't own one, so I can't comment on the use of these lenses.

Gary