Canon FD lenses: anyone getting great image quality on DSLRs?

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by BBzone28, May 7, 2017.

1. BBzone28

BBzone28 Member

Equipment:
    Canon FX, A-1, AE-1, AL-1, T60, T90, F-1, new F-1, EOS Rebel II/G/2000/T2, EOS Elan IIe/7N, EOS 50D/20D/10D, Digital Rebel XS/XT/Original
    Manual focus FD lenses with SSC "Super Spectra Coating" (includes nFD bayonet lenses) had a really nice selection of choice optics and MILLIONS of them were made.

Problem: flange-to-film distance is so close they require adapters with optical correction in order to focus at infinity. I've purchased and used the recommended ones, and wasn't that satisfied with the results, especially with lenses with f/2.8 and faster.

Has anyone had success getting high quality images from FD lenses on DSLRs other than for macro applications not requiring an adapter with optical correction because macro doesn't need to focus at infinity?

Last edited: May 7, 2017

2. pcake

pcake Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    i haven't tried my FD lenses on digital canons, but i did used to use them with my micro four thirds cameras using an adapter, and the pics came out sharp and nice. i'm not a huge fan of manual focus, however, and the FD lenses are heavier than most of the lenses i've been shooting with, too. btw, i didn't use them for macros, but i did mostly use them for closeups.

BBzone28 likes this.
  3. BBzone28

BBzone28 Member

Equipment:
    Canon FX, A-1, AE-1, AL-1, T60, T90, F-1, new F-1, EOS Rebel II/G/2000/T2, EOS Elan IIe/7N, EOS 50D/20D/10D, Digital Rebel XS/XT/Original
    I can see how the weight factor comes into play with the longer focal length lenses. Manual focus isn't as useful for action photography, but is great for things like landscape photography where you want to take more time to contemplate your compositions anyway.
    The other thing about manual focus, though, is those older lenses were solidly built and designed to make smooth precision focusing and the SLR body had built-in focusing aids, which is not as readily and easily the case when attempting to manual focus with an AF lens and using an AF SLR body.

4. Khukri

Khukri New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax 67II, Pentax 645, Noblex 135U, Canon T90, Canon 5DII, Sony A7II, lot of Pentax Canon FD & EF lenses.
    NO luck. I have tried using the FD 50/3.5 macro, 85/1.8, 70-200/4 L on Canon 5D Mk II and also Sony A7 Mk II. Terrible image quality when compared to modern EF equivalents. Such a shame, the smooth as silk manual focus of these lenses and their sold build is such a joy to handle.

I just wonder how all those people out there claim wonderful images using a simple FD 50mm 1.4 on their Sony mirrorless bodies. And not one cheep out of them on the incredible amounts of dust that ends up on the Sony sensor - unless of course they never ever change lenses outdoors.

The best!

5. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    They say cleanliness is next to godliness but in this case a clean sensor, I suggest that you invest in a rubber rocket blower and use it to keep the dust off the sensor and the lens's surfaces. Then use your breath to fog the lens's glass elements and clean with a lint free cloth.
    I have a large variety of FD and FL lenses,I use on a 60d and a 1d mark3 and clean them regally .Rearly do I have dust in my photos and if I do then I tidy them up in Photoshop, no probs

6. Khukri

Equipment:
    Pentax 67II, Pentax 645, Noblex 135U, Canon T90, Canon 5DII, Sony A7II, lot of Pentax Canon FD & EF lenses.
    Thanks for the inputs. I do have a blower but it really does not help.... much. As you may be aware, the Sony sensor is totally exposed when changing lenses, no mirror or anything else shielding it. The blower often merely re arranges the dust motes on the Sony sensor. I just get the sensor professionally cleaned every few months. Need to find a better solution. Interim, given that I frequently change lenses outdoors, I just hope not too much crud gets onto the sensor; and yes, PS helps!

The best!

7. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I suggest you clean the sensor yourself , I have done it on my cameras and it not that hard if a little care is taken.
    Check on how to do it on Youtube, Peter Gregg is one presenter worth a look.

8. Khukri

Equipment:
    I have toyed with the idea but never gone that way for fear of damaging the sensor. Since you now also mention it, let me look at what Peter Greg has to say/show. Thanks for this tip!

9. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    + some old manual focus optics :)
    Bit of an old topic here, could i ask which adapter you used for the task ?

There are loads of fd-eos adapters flooding the net that are made in china & a very few with a good search that are made in japan.

I shelled out the extra on one of them japanese ones & get results which i am happy with, but then again i am no professional.

would be very interested to know which adapters you have tried out