Canon HDMI Full Screen question

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Juan Carlos Loría, Feb 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Juan Carlos Loría

Juan Carlos Loría New Member

Equipment:
    T5i, 70D
    Hi, im doing some streaming and i have 3 cameras working (with a Switcher). One of them dont show me the full screen 5ti, and that's a problem because every time i have to resize the main view i have those 2 sizes to check out and takes me some time.

If you know how to change it please help me, or if its just because the camera its too old tell me please :(

Attached Files:

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well, I am not sure if we have enough to help quite yet, I am not a video guy so I wont be able to answer if it is related to the them being put into a hardware for mixing (you mentioned some switch. This does make me assume you have one monitor your viewing everything on which eliminates the monitor resolution being an issue.

I do have some questions that may aid in myself or others who shoot video helping narrow this down. You said that you have 3 cameras, which ones do you have? And what are the video settings on each of them?
    I see your profile mentions a 70d, so i assume that is also one of the 3 cameras, that like the 5ti is also a 7 year old camera, both were made in 2013. I doubt age has anything to do with this. Both output HD video files, so if you have them going using HDMI and going into mixer of some sort they should both be getting the full output from the camera. Neither camera does full HD at 60fps, could it be the video settings are scaled down on one of the cameras for a reason like that?

To summarize my answer/followup questions I think the issue lies in double checking the settings and hardware capabilities of what you are using. Does one of the inputs on your mixer only accept 720 possibly?

3. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    This is a bit hard to follow, are you resizing live while streaming or something? Is that why the additional hardware for extra inputs is being used? While I am not a video guy, I have used adobe premiere and took video classes in college, even back in the CS3 days it was easy to drop a lower resolution video in and resize/crop it on the fly as needed. So maybe I do not fully understand what the struggle is.

4. Juan Carlos Loría

Equipment:
    T5i, 70D
    Sorry i have 2 77D, 1 GoPro Hero 6 and 1 T5i, working on streaming with a ATEM MINI. The 3 first i mention show me a full size in the TV and the settings are 1920x1080 60fps, but the T5i is in 1920x1080 30fps (the fps dont supposed to be the problem because i change it in the ATEM and in the 77D cameras). I connect with the same hdmi cables and the same settings, but it still show that black space in all sides

5. johnsey

Equipment:
    Found some older threads on this, appears that it is doing that because it is the direct feed going to LCD which is 3:2 not 16:9. Apparently they handled the video live feed a bit different on older cameras regardless of the resolution that is being shot. This not being a concern to Canon makes sense, they didn't really sell these consumer DLRs aiming to a niche audience of live stream home studios.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...deo-into-rectangle-that-s-smaller/td-p/183978
    https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...ebel-T5i-the-best-choise-for-live/td-p/188354

6. Juan Carlos Loría

Equipment:
    T5i, 70D
    Thank you Johnsey.

I think you can have a really close to the full screen if you use in photo mode and change it to 3:2, if you do that you only have the black lanes on the sides. Im still making some moves and hope that i can use it with a full screen :)