CANON HF200 Legria "Not Working"

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Aspie With Attitude, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Aspie With Attitude

Aspie With Attitude New Member

Equipment:
    CANON Video Camrecorder HF20 Legria
    CANON Video Camrecorder HF200 Legria

In mid-January, I have ordered myself a new but second hand CANON HF200 Legria video cam recorder. When I got it, it was all in working order just like what you'll be seeing with the CANON HF20 Legria. This was the 29th January 2024 I uploaded this YouTube video.

I finally got the new camera on the 18th January 2024 and this was working so perfect, knowing that I have two of the kind to keep me going with the craft of using the CANON Legria cam-recorders. It was on the 27th January 2024, when things were going good, after my 9th take my new camera that I ordered from Europe stopped working.

I had to make this YouTube video since I couldn't think of the words to explain what the malfunction was. I am hoping to get help and support in having my HF200 Legria working again since now I am anxious that the same thing could happen with the HF20 Legria.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Have you performed a factory reset? https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART128562

What you have is a electrical issue.. Hard to say if this is the first time it happened or if the prior owner has seen it before. Long story short you cant really fix it since it likely is a wiring issue internally and will cost more than the replacement cost to service it. This is due to its age more than anything.

So if the hard reset doesn't help i would look at sending it back for a refund if that is possible.

3. Aspie With Attitude

Equipment:
    This makes sense now. I brought this from an antique dealer three weeks ago from Bulgaria prior to a technical difficulty I had with the working camera that was shown in the YouTube video.

This technical difficulty was resolved after leaving this on duel mode since if it's video only, the camera can have the mind of it's own. If my HF20 didn't have a mind of it's own, I would have never had that HF200 only to learn it's wiring issues.

It seems to be done for, waste of my $250.00 and I filmed this with a Sony as a demo which I don't like the Sony.

My Mum would say, if the camera was second hand this is what I would expect. Imagine getting this from an antique dealer.

4. Aspie With Attitude

Equipment:
    I've tried the reset, looks like the HF200 is dead.

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    That's unfortunate man, I'm so sorry to hear that you spent so much on this, I believe 250 is what i spent roughly on my similar type model hd video camera when i got mine brand new 12 years ago. I figured these would be 30/40 dollars used roughly. :(

6. Aspie With Attitude

Equipment:
    I've risked dismantling the HF200 cam recorder, I have precision screwdrivers and gave up after ruining three small screws.

I was already on the collision course to doing my worst trying to find the short circuit. As long as my HF20 is still working and at least this has an internal memory with the HF200 doesn't.

THIS ACTUALLY STILL WORKS AS JUST AS ANOTHER BATTERY CHARGER FOR MY WORKING HF20 CAM RECORDER

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024